Chapter 2

It was raining and I was reading in my tent when Rohan entered. "Great way of knocking," I said to him, putting a bookmark in it's place. "Not like there is fucking door to knock on," he point out. "What do you want," I asked him. "I found out Margie is coming to the island. She discovered I was part of the team working on the project, and is coming to either get me to mate with her, or since I refuse, she'll be here to give me hell," he shared with me. "And you're telling me this because," I asked him. He growled softly, "I can't fucking leave due to my role here, and I'd rather not be put through a painful hell. And your loving fathers have requested that it is I who deals with the Lords since they're only a minor thing compared to the shit they have to deal with. They're not wrong, but still. Dealing with her bullshit, and the Lord's bullshit. As it stands, I am fucking tired of having to run for her, I'd like to stay and do my damn job." 

I watched as he vented. Two centuries worth of built up anger and hatred was on the surface for me to see. "And what are you suggesting," I asked him. "A deal," he answered. "We mate, and neither of us deal with the shit they want to do to us. We will only ever have sex with each other, never another. I'm not wanting an immediate answer, but I'd like one before they fucking get here. What you get out of it, is a chance to not worry about him giving you a heart attack and killing you, neither of us have to leave the place we'll soon be calling home, we get to give them both a big fuck you, and neither of us will have to ever know what this pain feels like again." 

I listened to his deal. It had a lot of perks, but I wasn't sure if I was all for it. "I'll think about it," I told him. He nodded, "Let me know." He then left my tent and I sighed softly. What the fuck do I do? If I talked to my parents, Qin may have a cow. Of course I couldn't talk to them about it without revealing my mate is the son of a Lord. It'd give them a very narrow list of suspects and I couldn't risk it. 

So I sighed and called Karla. "How's island life," Karla asked me when she answered. "Boring for now," I said with a sigh. "So you know how I found out the Lords were coming and the ass was possibly tagging along?" "Yeah," she said. "I also remembering you talk about that very sexy Fae you've been working with." "Yeah well that sexy Fae's ex mate is coming to the island as well, and he came to me with a deal," I told her. I then told her what he said to me. 

"I don't know what to do," I confessed with a sigh. "I barely know him. I want something like what our parents have and I don't know if I can ever have that with him. Not just mate to save our asses." "And if you die, you will never get that chance," she told me. "I say take it Shyrah. I know this is probably going to sound selfish, but I would like to have centuries with you alive like we always thought we would have. This is a once in a life time opportunity. From what I heard about Lord Rohan, I know you'll be in good hands. He won't make you miserable like you are now. This is a chance for you to live and then rub it into that asshole's face." I looked down at my combat boots, torn on what to do. 

"You still have some time to think it through. Just know that Mania and I will respect whatever decision you choose," she told me. I nodded even though she couldn't see me, "Thanks Karla." "Anytime Shyrah," she said before I hung up. I laid out on my pallet, my head filled with so many thoughts. I looked at the calendar where I had marked their arrival date. I had a week and a half to come up with a decision. Was that enough time to make such a drastic and life changing decision? 

There was no coming back from this if I went through with this. I tried picturing a future mated to Rohan, but I couldn't. Not because I didn't want one, but because I didn't know him well enough to be able to imagine how things would be. I would have to talk in more detail with him. I wanted things to be clear between us. 

The next day I approached him at lunch and sat down in front of him. "Did you think it over," he asked me. "There are a lot of holes," I told him. "We discussed the short term, but we never discussed the long term." He raised an eyebrow at me, "The long term?" "Well yeah. We give our mates a big fuck you, and then what," I asked him. "I tried seeing if I could imagine a future with us mated, and I couldn't because I didn't know what you wanted. We'll be bound for eternity, we have to think of the long term." 

"And what are you wanting in the future," he asked me. "I know I may not look like it, but I want to one day have  family of my own and a home to grow in. I was wanting to find love for Goddess sake. I may look goth and have a don't fuck with me attitude, and that is who I am. I threw love out the window, but I don't want to give up on one day having a family of my own," I told him. He didn't show a bit of emotion when I told him. 

"And what are you wanting," I asked him. He looked down at his plate, "I never gave that any thought. I have spent the last couple of centuries running from the pain of the mating bond, and the pain I was in mentally, I never gave my future a thought." "Well, before you decide to bind someone to you for eternity, maybe you should," I told him. I stood then walked away. Now it was in his hands. I don't want to hurt anymore, but I also don't want to throw away my dreams in order for that to happen. I know they say life isn't fair, but damn it, this is my life and I will do what it takes to live it the way I want too.