Talking Plants? Probably the worst homework

ao3 author: dementordementor

summary: Taking care of a plant that talks? Probably the worst homework if you ask Harry, but his plant might help him to figure some things out.

“I’m so done with my plant. It just won’t shut up!” Ron complained, letting out a groan.

They were all making their way towards Herbology with the Slytherins. Actually, Harry, Ron and Hermione were walking at Malfoy’s and his gang’s back. The path was really noisy, but few students were actually talking. 

Professor Sprout had assigned them a terrible homework in Harry’s opinion. They had to take care of a plant that talked… a lot.

“That’s because you haven’t managed to train it. They are like pets, Ron,” explained Hermione almost yelling through the noise, holding the pot with her plant, which was one of the few who were not talking, making every student who wanted to talk have to yell so people could hear them.

Some of the few people who had actually managed to make their plants silent apart from Hermione were Neville, Malfoy and Blaise Zabini, everybody else’s plant was talking nonsense or talking with other plants or with their owners.

A pet?! We are nobody’s pet you silly girl!” yelled Ron’s plant, who had been previously loudly conversing with Harry’s.

“That’s easy for you to say because you’ve got a nice plant,” Ron whispered trying to not get heard by his plant.

What is that supposed to mean?! That I am not nice?!” yelled the plant again.

Harry saw how the Slytherins in front of him chuckled and he couldn’t help but join them. Ron returned him a harsh look.

“Yeah, that’s easy for you to say when your plant doesn’t say everything it thinks,” Harry complained, “If it can think…” Harry whispered more to himself.

We can think, and better than anyone in your race!” Harry’s plant yelled. “We haven’t caused wars between plants, have we? Unlike your race,” said the plant in a disgusting tone, and Harry did not have any arguments against that. “Who’s him?” asked his plant roughly, looking at Malfoy.

“Why would you care?” Harry asked intrigued.

You won’t stop gazing at him.”

“Shut up!” hissed Harry to his plant. He could feel the heat on his cheeks indicating he had blushed. His plant gave him a nasty smile and turned back to face at the front.

Nice butt, Blondie!” yelled his plant in a rough voice again.

Harry froze in his place, wishing to be able to Disapparate in that exact moment. Everyone turned to look at him and almost every plant was, magically, quiet. 

Malfoy was frozen just like him in his place.

Harry saw how Ron was trying so hard to suppress his laughter and so were Malfoy’s gang.

Malfoy and his gang slowly turned to look at him. Harry saw a blush on his cheeks and Parkinson, Crabbe and Goyle trying to suppress their laughs. “I'd be grateful if your plant stopped looking at my arse, Potter,” he spoke slowly with an air of superiority making Harry blush even harder, if that was possible.

He turned to continue walking and Harry had to clear his throat and think for a moment what had just happened. He was sure Malfoy was going to hex him, but he didn’t…