ch. 10 (rewritten)

We all gathered back at the Bounty, anxiously awaiting Wu's return. He had stepped out for a brief task, leaving us in a collective state of anticipation. "So, we all agree that this is what they're planning?" I inquired, scanning each team member for their reaction. The unanimous nods signaled our collective understanding. Cole voiced the lingering uncertainty, "But we won't be completely sure until Wu answers some of our questions." I concurred with a nod, acknowledging the wisdom in his words.

When Wu finally rejoined us, there was a palpable tension in the air. "Ahhh, ninja. I see you found the Timeblade," he greeted us. Zane, taking the lead, stepped forward, "We sure did, Sensei, but we have some questions that need answering." Wu, sensing the gravity of the situation, nodded. "Alright. What may your questions be?"

A silent agreement passed between us, and Zane took charge with a determined expression. "The Timeblades—are they made of elemental metal? What is elemental metal?" Wu, with a sigh, began unraveling the mysteries. "The Timeblades are indeed made of elemental metal. Elemental metal is the strongest metal in Ninjago, capable of withstanding any kind of damage. Unfortunately, the only way to make elemental metal is to use certain elemental masters' powers."

As Wu continued, his hands gestured to emphasize the sacrifices made in creating the Timeblades. "When we made the Timeblades, the elemental masters needed to make the metal used up all the energy they had left. They never gained their powers again, and for those who did, they were weakened to the point that a small wrong move could shatter their defensive field."

Gasps rippled through the room, and the profound implications left us all momentarily stunned. Zane, maintaining his composure, pushed further, "If you don't mind us asking, Master, what elemental masters are needed for the metal?" Wu sighed again, his eyes reflecting the weight of the knowledge he bore. "The elemental masters needed to make the metal depend on what you're making. In our case right now, they took the elemental masters of metal, mind, speed, shadow, gravity, and fire."

Nya, unable to conceal her shock, stepped forward with wide eyes. "Mother and father?" Wu affirmed her realization with a solemn nod. "Elemental metal can be made in various ways, depending on the purpose. In our case, they took the masters of metal to shape the elemental metal. The masters of speed and shadow transport the metal to the required locations, while the masters of gravity and mind are used to assemble the pieces."

The room fell into a heavy silence, and I, feeling the weight of the situation, broke the uneasy quiet with a question, "Uncle... what's your guess for fire?" Wu sighed once more, his shoulders slumping with the burden of his insights. "Fire is the most exhausting and is the main component of the metal. Without it, it's pointless. Kai is used to melt the pieces and mold them together. If he refuses... I can only imagine what Krux and Acronix would do."

The revelation hung in the air, and the room remained in stunned silence even after Wu exited. The entire ship seemed engulfed in an unsettling quietness, as if every soul onboard sensed that something was profoundly amiss.

Krux had his snake warriors drag me to a separate cell, away from everyone else. "God dammit, Kai, you messed everything up! What are you going to do now!?" I berated myself internally as I stewed in the consequences of my actions. "You know, that wasn't a very smart move, ninja," a voice echoed, and I looked up at Krux and Akronix, trying to discern who had spoken.

"What do you want!?" I snapped back, only to be silenced abruptly. "SILENCE!" Akronix screamed at me, unsheathing his sword. Krux intervened, pulling his brother back. "Not yet, brother," Akronix growled, stepping away to let Krux handle me. "You know... you're just like your father," Krux remarked, and I growled in response. "Back off!" I yelled defiantly.

"You can't deny the resemblance, little ninja," Akronix taunted, a sinister grin on his face. Krux chuckled darkly, "It's almost poetic, isn't it? The son of the mighty fire ninja, now at our mercy."

As Krux prepared to deliver my punishment, Akronix couldn't resist adding, "Let's make sure the lesson sinks in, Kai. Your parents would be disappointed to see you crumble so easily."

"Think of it as a family reunion, young fire master. We're just helping you embrace your destiny," Krux sneered, his words dripping with mockery. I gritted my teeth, enduring the torment, while they reveled in the twisted connection between my actions and my infamous lineage.

"You're not so different from Garmadon, after all. Both blinded by arrogance and destined for failure," Akronix taunted, a venomous edge to his voice. "It's a shame, really. We had such high hopes for you."

Krux, seizing the opportunity to inflict psychological pain, leaned in close and whispered, "Perhaps you'll join your parents in the realm of failures. A legacy of disappointment, just like them."

My mind swirled with a mix of anger, frustration, and desperation. The echoes of their taunts reverberated, intensifying the torture of being reminded of my connection to two of Ninjago's most notorious figures.

I woke up back in my original cell, surveying the aftermath. The air hung heavy with tension, and as my eyes adjusted to the dim light, I noticed everyone had a few cuts, some more severe than others. Attempting to rise, I braced myself against the cold, unforgiving floor, only to be met with excruciating pain. "Ahhh!" I yelped, the sound reverberating in the confined space, awakening a few other elemental masters.

They rushed over, concern etched across their faces, and helped me sit up. "You should be careful; they beat you up good for our attempt at escaping," Neuro stated, his voice carrying a mix of sympathy and warning. I winced as I took stock of the injuries among us. Griffin's arm bore a deep gash, Shade had a nasty bruise on his cheek, and Karloff nursed a limp. Each cut and bruise spoke volumes about the brutality we endured.

"T-they didn't do much to us... yet," Griffin stated, a tremor in his voice revealing the underlying horror of our situation. Shade, ever observant, cut to the chase. "The more important question is, are you okay?" he asked, his gaze fixed on me. I shook my head, a mixture of exhaustion and anger coursing through me. "I don't know. I haven't looked at myself yet," I mumbled, the weight of our predicament settling on my shoulders.

As we assessed our injuries, the conversation shifted to the looming threat of punishments. "What do you think they'll do next?" Griffin wondered aloud, his eyes darting nervously between us. Shade, with his analytical mindset, speculated, "It seems they want to break us mentally before anything else. These injuries are a warning, a taste of what's to come if we defy them again."

Karloff, ever the optimist, tried to inject a sense of hope. "Don't worry, guys. I'm sure the others will get us out of here soon. You know why?" he said, attempting to lighten the mood. We exchanged small smiles, thinking the same thing. Turning back to Karloff, we said in unison, "Positive thinking!"

Yet, beneath the facade of optimism, the unspoken fears lingered. We couldn't escape the harsh reality that our tormentors held the power to inflict both physical and psychological pain, and as we huddled together in that cold cell, the shadows of uncertainty cast their long reach over our fragile hopes.