2

Six days later......

Even Amelia's assassin of a mate treated Owen with quiet respect. It is not because Owen is Amelia's only guardian but because of the person he truly is. Once upon a time, I wanted Owen to mate me but later realized the chemistry is not even there. Owen is very dependable and the whole Group kind of lean on Hachiro and him.

"But I am going to give you a little advice in return of something important you said to me once, so listen up," Terrian, Owen's mate, says over the phone.

"Will it be okay if I don't listen?" I ask meekly.

"Shut up Charlotte. I know Aalam. He's a little childish but he's loyal to the core."

"I'm older than him. He can't take my responsibility. And I can't take dominance from him."

"You'll both work on balancing the see-saw. It's always fun to have a younger male, he'll show your life."

On the surface, it was a lighthearted comment, but I saw it for the truth it was. This thing between us can work but I am afraid it will not. I cannot take the hurt if it does not. I see countless females in the Group who get heartbroken and I do not want that for myself. But what if it can work? What if I give my heart to this brilliant Bes and he treasures it with his life? We will both have to work on it. I know Aalam will give his best but I am afraid what if the result does not pay off?

The other night he asked me out on a walk. The Cavern covers a huge ground and it is most beautiful in the dark. It is summer and wild flowers and green trees cover the brown ground. He talked to me. Asked me if I am afraid, he will not be enough to fulfill my desires. I assured him it is not that which is the truth. I told him I am afraid that I may be too old for him and may try to make decisions in the long term that will not be accepted by him.