4

Sixteen days later......

Aalam pressed his palms against the edges of the door frame, blocking out the outside world. His knuckles stand out and though I want to sooth down the tension, I do not. He yelled at me today. He literary shoved me out of the way to rescue that cub, in front of everyone else. All I did was I tried to stop him from getting himself in danger. I knew I was irrational but he could have acted a bit civilized.

"I know enough male Beses to know how your mind works," I calmly state.

"Yeah? Well, since you know predatory hybrid men so well, you know exactly what I'm going to do next," he says through anger.

"You have no right to talk to me in this tone," I reply, swallowing my tears.

"Please let me in. I came to apologize," he gently requests.

"If I let you in today, you'll do it again."

"And I'll come back again, apologize and beg at your feet, Charlotte."

"I don't want to put you in that position."

He was gone a second later. I did not expect him to. I close the door and sit on the floor against it. After I came back from my two-days' vacation, I came to know that Aalam took that girl out to make me jealous. After another walk in the night with Aalam, when he informed me this, I decided to give him a chance. He made good use of it until today.

I cannot forget the insult. Because no matter how much he pulled at me, no matter how deeply interwoven he was in my heart, I had taken an oath to protect the Group when I became their beloved Vet, and it was time to uphold it. Being a medic, it is in my nature to think of the health of a member and if Aalam cannot deal with it, I rather be the doctor than the lover.

Baara fell from a cliff today and was stuck in midway. Another cub came in the Cavern and shouted, informing everyone what happened. In no time, me, Aalam and many other Beses arrived at the site. The cliff is a dangerous one. Aalam is our best climber but when he got ready to go down, I tried to stop him. An irrational fear came on me that something would happen to him. He shoved me right off before he descended and thank God successfully rescued Baara and came back. I held my breath for the entire time.