3

Eleven days later......

"Are you taking me back to my room?" she asked.

"Yep," I replied.

A sigh, then she snuggled her head into the curve of my neck, sitting patiently until we reached the open doorway of her home.

"Can I go with you?" Baara asks.

"Someday I'll take you to the most wonderful places you've ever seen."

"I don't like to sleep at night."

"When you're older, I'll ask Hachiro to always put you on night shifts. Go along now..." I put Baara down.

Her father came to the door and asked me to have coffee. I nodded a no and was about to leave when Baara said,

"Wait! I want to give Char something," she runs inside.

"Your daughter needs to be kept in a cage," I say to Baara's father.

"I try to keep an eye on her but she has ways of escaping," he replies.

Baara comes running back and hands me a small toy whistle saying,

"Look, I saved this from the chips packet for you."

"Thank you. I'll blow it when I'm in danger," I tell to the little bright-eyed lioness.

I turn back to her father as she goes inside,

"How is Baara with the baby?" I ask him referring to his week-old son.

"She plays with him for hours," he replies affectionately.

"You didn't come in for the check of the baby after his birth."

"The baby's doing well. I'll come with him even if he makes a wrong sneeze."

"I'll be away for a couple of days. Call me if I'm needed."

"Is this about Aalam taking that girl out?"

"I don't know where Aalam comes here from."

"I'm mated. I passed that phase."

"I'm unmated and plan to remain this way."

With this I turn and walk out of the Cavern. Hachiro did not agree for me to leave for a long while but he granted me a couple of days solitude. Aalam did the right thing. I cannot agree to be his lover so it is just right that he tries himself with other females. God knows there are tons in here who will love to be even his one-night stand. That girl Aalam asked out in front of me is beautiful and coveted by many males in the Group. She is just a year younger than him; she is perfect.

But it hurts. In all these days he tried to pursue me, he took a part of my heart. I know he will be seen with her for a while now and I cannot concentrate on my work if I do not go away to sort my feelings. I think of Baara. She is one of the many reasons I know I cannot be happy if I leave the Cavern. I love these cubs who will one day become the strongest lion and lionesses of the Group. I brought Baara in this world with my own hands like many other cubs in here.