Oneshot - Rock the Casbah

May, 1982

Things had been going really well for Duran Duran these past couple months. After the release of 'Planet Earth', things had only got better and after the release of their new LP 'Rio', there seemed like no end to the clambering success of Duran Duran. From Smash Hits to Bop!, their faces were everywhere, there was no escaping the fact that they had the world under their influence. I was so happy for them. After all those years of seeing them grow, their hopes and dreams of success had finally come into fruition, even if it meant that thousands of screaming girls followed everywhere we went.

I was with John and the gang in Sri Lanka for a couple weeks to shoot the videos for the singles off the Rio album (Save a Prayer, Lonely in Your Nightmare and Hungry Like the wolf, the latter John looked particularly hot in, am I right?)

It was hard work for them, devoting so many hours just for some promotional content but it was also a great chance to explore an adventurous place so different from back at home in Birmingham.

The shooting crew let the band off early today, which gave them some time relax back at the hotel we were staying at. I recall a rather monotonous show playing on the telly as I rested my head on John's shoulder, rubbing his chest affectionately. He caressed my cheek with a delicate finger before bestowing a soft kiss upon my lips. I smiled into his mouth, exchanging hot breaths as his hands slid up and down my back. It didn't go much further than that. We sat up, John's arms wrapped around my waist, my head resting in the crook of his neck, a gentle energy between us. 

I felt John's arms slide away from my hips as he stood up and made his way to one of the suitcases we hadn't been bothered to move into the bedroom. Inside was an assortment of cassettes, records and books that we'd packed for the trip. John pulled out 'Avalon' by Roxy Music. He placed the needle on the record and made his way back to the couch. Instead of lying down this time, he sat up straight and gestured for me to lie down. I rested my head on his lap as his fingers glided through my hair. 

"Had a good day?" I cooed. John gave a warm smile and nodded his head gently. I sat up so we were face to face. I cupped his cheek with my hands as I leant forward and lightly kissed his nose. He winced.

"Oh I'm sorry, I forgot." I said, my lips pouted. "I forgot baby was sunburnt." John let out a chuckle then kissed my cheek. I tilted my head back as he gradually made his way down to my neck and chest. Then a knock came on from the door. 

"Ey, it's only Simon!" I heard coming from the door.

"I'll get it." As I got up, John gave me a disappointed look, not wanting me to leave his arms. I swung open the door.

"Hey Simon." I chimed. Simon smiled and tilted his head, nodding to John on the couch.

"Hey Charley." John said, lifting his hand up to greet him.

"Hey, so y/n. The rest of the gang and I were thinking of nipping down to the club or something. You guys keen on coming?" My face lit up at Simon's offer.

"Yeah that sounds great!" I cheerfully replied. Simon gave me the details of the club they were going to and told him that we'd meet the guys there at 7pm. He left and closed the door and I turned over to John. I walked over to him and sat myself down on his lap, my arms draped over his shoulders. 

"Fancy going out tonight?" I asked. 

"Awwww." His face fell. I looked at him worringly.

"I just wanted to stay with you tonight." He said lovingly, snuggling up so that our noses were touching. I smiled, took his hands and then lifted him out of the couch.

"Aww come on, it'll be fun!" I said as I pretended to waltz with him.

"And besides," I said, "It's nice to see you shaking your ass out there every now and then." John groaned at the thought of dancing. 

"I'm just gonna take a shower and then get ready." I said, giving him a peck on the lips, and then making my way to the bathroom. 

When I reentered the living room, my hair was done up in a messy bun and I was sporting a short, figure-hugging black dress and black stilettos. I gave John a twirl and he smiled approvingly. 

"Wow." Was all he could muster. Maybe this wasn't such a bad idea after all, he thought. John was wearing jeans and a black top. Even in his fedora he still looked insanely gorgeous. I brushed a few strands of blonde-tipped hair out of his eyes. He glanced at his watch and realised that it was time for us to make our way to the club. I slung on a handbag and took John's hand. When we walked out of the hotel, no cameras were to be seen, but we knew they were there. After being with John for two-and-a-half years or so, I had gotten used to this lifestyle, and quite frankly, it paid off. When I looked into John's eyes, he seemed a lot more excited about going out than before. I kissed his cheek, letting him know I appreciated him taking me out tonight. 

We arrived in the club and made our way to the VIP room, where the band and the girls were hanging out. Andy was at the bar with Simon, both giggling onto each other's shoulders, Nick was lounging around with a glass of champagne in his hand, having a conversation with another man and Roger was on the dance floor with his date. We decided to sit at the bar with Andy and Simon.

"Ah have one will ya." Simon slurred as he pushed a bottle of vodka and two glasses towards us. I passed, and instead got a beer. John had a shot and then ordered a beer for himself. We sat for about half an hour chatting and drinking, Andy and Simon getting more and more wasted. The DJ decided to play a few more upbeat tracks, which drew many to the dance floor. Andy and Simon joined Roger. I stifled a giggle as John and I watched Simon's 'funky' moves on the floor. I jumped off my stool and took John's hands. He wouldn't budge.

"Aw c'mon John, lighten up. Have a little fun!" John gave me a solid glare, he was not convinced. Even when I slipped my hands around his waist, he refused. I sighed.

"AIYA COME ON JOHNNY!" Shouted a very drunk and sweaty Andy over the crowd. 

"Even Nick's dancing John!! Please! For me?" I pleaded, my eyes wide and begging. It was clear that I was going nowhere with this. Then, just the thing popped into my head.  

"I'll be right back." I said, pecking him on the cheek as I ran off to the DJ's booth. I came back with my hands on my hips and a smug expression spread across my face.

"What did you do?" John asked, raising an inquisitive sexy eyebrow. Then the music faded as it came to another end, another track weaving into it. When it came on, John's eyes widened. 

"You didn't." He said.

"Oh yes, I did." I giggled as I dragged John onto the dance floor, knowing that he couldn't resist the temptation of 'Rock the Casbah'. 

"Now take off that dreadful hat." I ordered then wrapped my arms around his neck. He gave me a hopeless smile, that made my heart melt.

"Thanks, John." I smiled warmly as I spoke, my voice muffled as my head was buried in his neck.