Oneshot - Hold Back the Rain

February, 1986

It had only been our first date and John had had the sweet idea of us having dinner at his parent's place, one of the very few things that terrified me. I sat at the dinner table, trying to swallow my fear. My hands trembled as I tried to use the cutlery. I looked searchingly at John but he was too engrossed in a conversation with his parents, Jack and Eugenia. Overwhelmed, trying to decode their conversation (which was spoken in tongues), I fiddled with one of the buttons on my blouse. I felt a hand fall onto my back, lightly patting it affectionately. John looked at me and then gestured to his parents.

"So." Eugenia started, staring deep into the pupils of my eyes. My knees buckled and a swarm of wasps rose in the pit of my stomach. Gulping back my fear, I sat up a little straighter.

"Whereabouts are you from did you say y/n?" She asked, spooning shepherd's pie into her mouth.

"Oh, uh, um, I, ah, West London." I replied, trying to stop my voice from shaking as I was bombarded with a series of questions. John kept his hand on my back the whole time, in the attempt to comfort me. After a while, everyone's plates were empty so John and I decided to clear the table. 

"Oh, no, no, no!" Eugenia said, grabbing my hand as I went to pick up her plate.

"Let me do that, love. You go sit back down." She said, smiling kindly. Hopefully this was a sign that she was finally warming up to me. But we insisted, making our way to the kitchen to wash the dishes. As I opened up the cupboard in search of the detergent, John made his way towards me.

"You know, they really like you." He said, a broad smile across his face.

"Really, you think so?" I said with a small grin as I looked at the floor. When I looked up, John was right up close to me, so close that I could feel his hot breath. He held my chin and leant forward, planting a gentle kiss on my cheek. I blushed. 

"Yeah, I do." He replied warmly. I sighed, draping my arms around John's neck and burying my head in his chest, his hands falling to my waist. We stood there for a little while, soaking in the contentment and comfort moment. I wanted to stay like that forever but the running tap reminded me that we had to get on with doing the dishes. We reluctantly pulled away from the embrace, rolled our sleeves up and set to work. I giggled as John flicked soapy water at my face. After we had finished, we made our way back into the dining room, where Jack and Eugenia were still sitting at the table chatting. John slipped an arm around my waist and took my hand. I smiled back at him, gazing into his soft brown eyes, which were smiling back at me.

"I'm gonna take y/n home now." John declared.

"Thank you so much for having me Mr. and Mrs. Taylor." I said as I shook Jack's hands.

"Anytime." They replied, smiling warmly at me. I internally sighed with relief as we left the house. Not because I didn't like John's parents, I found them really sweet, just because it meant that I wouldn't feel the pressure to act a certain way anymore. 

"Shit it's freezing!" John whispered under his breath as he pulled on his overcoat. As he turned around to close the door behind him, his father shot him a wink. John nodded in response, then took my hand.

"Lets get outta here." He whispered in my ear, planting a kiss on my neck. I slipped into the car as John held the door open for me. He started the ignition and we were off.