Chapter 10: Home at Last

Leaving Apollo under the care of an immortal damphir is like taking the responsibility of becoming a parent

Extended hours heightened; the disturbing sounds of a starving infant are all you can hear.

No matter how many times you have looked after it, the infant will continue to squirm in its crib until you give him enough attention.

Sure, taking care of a child is hard work; but in the end, it was worth it. The baby has a fresh diaper, a warm bed to sleep in, and a family to protect it from harm.

After Adam gave his word to the misfits, Johnny scratched their home address with the pen Adam has treasured inside his left pocket and gave the damphir the paper.

Starless nights and dark circles; the warm katana resting between jean legs as Johnny drove his little sister and friends back to their sacred quarters.

Pearl Jam played on the stereo until Johnny flipped the channel to the Screaming Trees.

"Shadow of the Season" — plucked from the Sweet Oblivion—soothed the boy's pulsing ears as Johnny stops at a local gas station, refills the tank, and resumes heading North.

Scrubbing her tired eyes with her hands, a sleepy Nessa yawned, "Are we there yet?"

"Nope," said Johnny.

"Okay." Nessa was quiet for a moment until she asked her brother again if they were home yet.

"No."

"How about now? Are we—"

"What part of 'no' don't you understand?"

Nessa sticks out her bottom lip, then places her feet on the dashboard. Her rugged bag stretches uncomfortably on her lap like a bored cat.

The passage home became quiet as death.

Brooke and Caleb curled in the back seat, keeping each other company. Pushing his dreadlocks out of his eyes, Brooke kissed Caleb's left cheek.

"Kiss me," she murmurs. Brooke slides her arms around Caleb's warm neck and rubs her nose against his.

Though tired, a weary Caleb plants his lips on hers, then gives her his thick jacket.

"I love you."

"I love you, too."

Lights flew past them; Johnny's eyelids begin to droop until Nessa pinches his arm.

"Thanks."

"You're welcome." Nessa yawned. "So, now that Apollo is leaving California, what are we going to do?"

"We are going to go home, take a shower, and deny everything to the police."

"I know that, but what if Apollo needs us or something?"