Chapter 19: Smiles and Secret Codes

For almost three years, Caleb knew the inner workings of the New York Police Department like the back of his hand

For almost three years, Caleb knew the inner workings of the New York Police Department like the back of his hand. He knew the cops' names and their statures — mainly due to his frantic stunts in the past. 

Since it is difficult to get inside the station without creating a ruckus, Johnny had devised a plan.

"What type of pager does Enrique have, Caleb?" asked Johnny.

"A Motorola Advisor, why?" 

"The reason I asked is that I don't know how long will this investigation is going to last." 

Johnny roamed across the living room, chewing on the tip of his pinkie. He often does it when he is thinking of a perfect strategy. 

"So, you're suggesting that we are switching the old pager with a new one?" Brooke asks. 

"Yeah."

"It sounds risky," Nessa noted.

"Yeah, it does." Johnny sighs agreeably. "The cameras in the station are shit, but there are eyes everywhere." 

Caleb shot up his hand. "I have an idea, why don't I brainwash the police officer and have him bring it to our place?" 

Fiddling with her hair braid, Brooke shakes her head. "If you do that, then we'll leave a trace for the cops to find." 

Johnny stops wandering across the room.

"Brooke's right," he tells Caleb. "Instead of using pigs to do our dirty work, we need to use our heads."

Caleb frowned in disbelief. "Wait, so I can't use my powers on them?" 

Nessa, who sat on the couch, cuts her eyes at him.

"Didn't you hear him, dipshit?" she hissed in frustration. "We can't use mind control on the cops! It's too fucking risky, and it will come and bite us in the ass!" 

"Fine." Caleb groaned. "But if this shit goes sideways, it's your fault." 

And so, the plan is set: Johnny and the kids drove to a mall, where Brooke had purchased a brand-new pager from a young tech expert.

Though she asked him questions about the device, Brooke refused to pay upfront, hands him her money, and vacates the mall.

After tearing the package open, the oracle later lends the pager to Nessa, who happily gives it to her older brother. 

As soon as Johnny reached home, he put on his black gloves, wipes the fingerprints off of the new pager, disappears then returns carrying Enrique's old pager.