Chapter 26: Entering the Warehouse

Philip picked his teeth with his stubby fingernails, as Johnny drives the car to the abandoned warehouse

Philip picked his teeth with his stubby fingernails, as Johnny drives the car to the abandoned warehouse. The couple held hands, while Nessa anxiously twirled her dagger in her left hand.

As the silence grew intense, Philip wondered if he is going to die. He did a quick peek at the quiet teenagers, listening to the sound of the whistling breeze. The sight of their guns startled Philip to the point where he wants to throw up.

He regrets meeting Roman in the first place. If Philip hadn't gotten involved in the school, then Enrique wouldn't have been killed by Roman.

Johnny puts on his turn signal before he pivots the right lane. While he drives, his black sword rests comfortably on his little sister's lap.

It was a rare sight for Philip because Johnny never lets anyone hold it.

As Nessa grips the black sword in her right hand, she said casually switching the stations with her left. Some spoken of politics, while others discussed football and cooking shows.

Just then, Mother Love Bone came on.

Nessa grins as she increases the volume but not too loud for her friends' delicate ears. The song suits perfectly for the night ride.

Brooke rolls the window down and sticks her hand out. She leans her weight against the car door; her fingers wiggle in the cold breeze, whereas Caleb sways his head back and forth.

"Quit it, Nessa," Johnny frowned, watching his sister toy with the volume dial. "You're going to fuck up the radio."

His little sister circles her eyes. "I am bored."

"We're almost there," promised Johnny.

A stern Nessa crossed her arms. "That's what you said the last time."

Johnny groans as he met face to face with an angry red stoplight. He slows down, waiting for the cars to speed by.

"God," whined Nessa. "at this rate, we will never get there on time."

Pulling her freezing hands back in the car, Brooke patiently shakes her head. "We're going to make it, Nessa."

"I seriously doubt that." the girl chews the tip of her thumb. "Hey, Johnny, why did you have to take this lane? I thought the warehouse was on the west.

Her older brother turns his attention to meet Brooke's attentive eyes.

"Are you sure this is the right path?" he asks her.

"Yeah." Brooke nodded. "Just head straight down and then, make a right."

"Okay."

A silent Caleb tucks his gun in the back of his waistband. Eyelids drop over his exhausted eyes.

When he sees the siblings, Philip reminds himself about his family at home, calling the police.

On the one hand, Roman won't come after his family. But on the other, Philip misses them terribly. As he studies the children's stoic faces, Philip wondered if they miss their parents.