Chapter 28: Roman and the Argonauts

Cocking their guns, the teenagers scoped around the warehouse for any signs of Roman Cain

Cocking their guns, the teenagers scoped around the warehouse for any signs of Roman Cain. They examine bullet holes, overturned rotting furniture, and infiltrated through desolate rooms when all of a sudden, Philip decides to pitch in.

"Dude," Caleb grimaced. "The deal is done. Go home."

Philip made a face. Even though he has just met these kids, Philip didn't want anything bad to happen to them.

He also felt obliged that Brooke gave him medicine to heal his injuries. Speaking of wounds, Philip's bruises and scars fade like stains on a clean white T-shirt.

The bullets-that were lodged in Philip's stomach-easily fell onto the floor, smeared in blood.

What's even more shocking is that he couldn't feel any pain.

Holy crap thought Philip. He lifts his black hoodie and shirt and gawked at his recovered abdomen. How the hell did my stomach heal so fast?

Observing his astonished face, Brooke smiles in relief.

Truth be told, Brooke had doubts that the treatment would work. Before Idlewild shut down, Brooke stole it behind her school nurse's back and kept the vial with her for research purposes.

"Are you okay?" asked Brooke.

"Yeah-" Philip nodded.

"Then leave while you still can, okay?" she pleaded. "What we are doing is kind of illegal."

"Kind of?" Johnny repeats. He wielded his gun in his left hand, while in his right totes his samurai sword. "Brooke, we've committed more felonies than an average serial killer, and yet you're telling this guy that our business is 'kind of illegal' ?"

Brooke expressed a sigh. "Okay, fine, it's illegal, but Philip, I don't want you to get hurt or killed by those random bullets."

Nessa, who saunters around the second floor, plants her fists on each side of her hips.

"Speaking of bullets," she began. "What the hell was that ten minutes ago?"

Reloading his twin handguns, Caleb shrugs his shoulders. "Who knows? Maybe they are just trying to scare-"

Glass shatter as men in dark robes infiltrated the warehouses. Johnny teleports himself on the first floor, whereas Caleb tucks his guns in the back of his pants, performed a flawless front handspring, then lands on two feet.

Philip, who is unsure what is going on, retreats behind a stoic Nessa. His heart pounds excessively in his chest, and yet Philip's legs grow weak like soggy bread pudding.

He watched terribly as men in menacing dark robes circle the kids.

"Who the hell are these guys?" Johnny thought anxiously. "Do they work for Roman?"