Chapter Two

Daphne, Astoria, Blaise and I entered the Great Hall along with many of the other students. Astoria said bye to us as she went over to sit with her 5th year friends at the end of the Slytherin table. The 3 of us went to the middle where no had sat yet. Blaise sat across from Daphne and I as we began to chat. I feel a tap on my shoulder and turn to see Adrian Pucey. A handsome boy who plays as a beater on the Slytherin quidditch team.

"Lydia! Hey, how was your summer?" He says smiling gently and sitting beside me.

"Hi Adrian, I had a fantastic summer! How about you?" I say smiling politely back.

"It was great, my dad had me helping him a lot over at the ministry so I could see what it was like. I think I want to work there, but haven't decided which department." He explains.

"That's really nice, I'm sure whatever you choose you'll be great at it." I say kindly.

He grins at this and says his thanks before turning over to his friend Marcus Flint on the other side of him.

I notice Draco comes into the hall and scans the Slytherin table until his eyes land on me. His signature smirk appears on his face before he notices Adrian sitting beside me, our shoulders touching. His smirk falters slightly and he saunters over to the table and sits beside Blaise, directly across from me. He doesn't break eye contact from me once. He greets Blaise, finally looking away.

Dumbledore starts the beginning of the year speech after the sorting of the first years. I'm listening to what he's saying when I feel something rub against my foot under the table. I jump slightly in surprise and Daphne looks at me weird before turning her attention back to the headmaster. I look over and notice Draco smiling slyly at me. I realize it was his foot that brushed against mine purposely and my eyes narrow at him in anger. He does it again, and I mouth "stop" to him. All he does is look more amused and keeps doing it.

What. A. Child.

Dumbledore finishes his speech and the food appears. I decide to ignore Draco as best I can and start piling food onto my plate, excited to finally eat. Adrian looks over at my plate and laughs loudly while I'm mid bite into my delicious steak. I look over at him innocently as he laughs.

"What's so funny Adrian?" I say laughing a little.

"You have so much food on your plate, I've never seen you eat so much so quickly!" He says chuckling. I blush at this and lightly smack his arm.

"Oh hush, a girl's got to eat you know?" I say grinning.

"But where do you put it all? You're tiny!" He says teasingly.

I roll my eyes playfully before looking away to continue eating. I catch sight of Draco in front of me who's scowling at my interaction with Adrian. I raise an eyebrow questioningly at him, waiting for some rude comment as always. But he says nothing and looks away annoyed. Hmm. Odd, he'd usually say something to offend me. Maybe he decided he annoyed me enough tonight.

After the feast, we all walk down to the dungeons to get to our common room while laughing and making fun of each other. Slytherin house was always thought to be evil, but anyone who really took the time to get to know us knew that we aren't all evil. Most times, those who are treated evil turn out evil. But we're a family. We've always taken care of our own and we have each other's backs. I was proud to be in Slytherin with my best friends.

Daphne and I head up to our room that we share and unpack our things while gossiping.

"I noticed Adrian Pucey was quite chatty with you tonight, Lyd." She says with a teasing smile. I roll my eyes playfully at this.