The Queen of the Underground

Just an fyi... we in ancient Vale! (Rome)

We live by the crowd we die by the crowd. That is what my father taught me before he died in a fight. I never resented the man who took his life, my father knew what would happen. But besides me, he had no reason to live since my mother was taken from us by the grimm.

I sat on my bedding staring at my trident that belonged to my father. I just held it doing a few thrusts towards the bars of the cells as I let out a yawn before propping my trident and buckler up against the wall laying down on my bedding staring at my ceiling. I have been in the arena for over ten years now, yesterday I turned eighteen and that made my fights a bit more entertaining.

However that didn't bother me too much, I enjoyed the rush of the fights. The weight of my trident being plunged into the skull of my opponent. I loved the thrill of one more kill, the last one to fall. I closed my eyes being plagued with the memory of my mothers death and my fathers death as well. It didn't bother me anymore, but that doesn't mean it didn't hurt.

When I heard banging on my cell bars I knew it was time for my fight. I stood up grabbing my trident and buckler, putting on my helmet pulling the visor down. I quickly put on one shoulder pad and my armored pants. I approached the person who awoke me as they held out medicine for me. I took the pills and swallowed them whole as I felt my power be drained slightly. I shook my head ignoring the effects as I walked out and down the hall. The medicine I just took was used to suppress my aura and powers, because fights would be no fun if it took more then a few moments to draw blood. I walked out from the torch lit hallway into the bright and open field of battle.

I held my arms out spinning around for the crowd as they cheered and screamed for me. I loved this feeling I loved it so much. Then I looked up at the far end of the colosseum seeing the queen of the colosseum. Her long flowing dark brown hair, her stern and discerning brown eyes. She just shushed the crowd as the roars were silenced quickly as she held out her hand. I just turned as she pointed to my left using her power to create a cage of metal around the battlefield.

I watched as the cage used to keep the grimm iniside was opened and I was revealed to my opponent. I saw as the beast broke open the doors roaring in anger as I discerned it as a manticore. I just felt a smile underneath my helmet as I never got to fight a manticore before. I twirled my trident in my hand as its' eyes landed on me. I taunted it a bit as it flapped it wings before flying straight at me. I rolled to the right only barely avoiding its' charge before taking a jab at its' side. I stood up and saw a small trickle of darkness escape its' side as I held my trident up showing proof that I had struck the beast, the crowd roared as I turned my back to the manticore.

It must have been offended by this gesture as I turned around only to see flames being spewed at me. I shielded as best as I could as the flames seared my body, this was my own fault. I felt my knees buckle as the crowd screamed and cheered for both myself and the manticore. I kept myself up with sheer willpower as it slowly stalked towards me obviously thinking I was an easy target. I just rushed at it catching it off guard, it raised its' tail up striking at me. I just raised my buckler parrying the blow as it slid off my shield and I stabbed into the tail. It let out a roar of pain as I just kept stabbing and stabbing as the crowd itself roared in excitement.

It snapped at me as I jumped back feeling some blood escaping my body. I just looked down to see a slash wound at my side as I looked back at the manticore. I just ignored the burning pain in my side as I rolled to the left as it struck at me with its' tail. I saw the tail get stuck in the floor of the colosseum as I jumped onto its' back  seizing the opportunity. If this would be my death I would happily die while riding the manticore.

It jumped around trying to knock me off as I held onto its' wings preventing it from flying away. I laughed as the crowd cheered me on completely neglecting the manticore now as I had the crowds undivided attention. I plunged my trident into its' black as sludge spewed out from the wound. It roared in great pain as I pulled my trident out and plunged it again this time moving up its' back. I continued this a few more times until I was knocked off rolling into the iron cage. I stood up seeing the black sludge all over the ground as the manticore limped around growling at me. I just disregarded my buckler two handing my trident as it roared at me breathing fire. I just charged through the fire stabbing my trident into its' mouth closing it before much fire escaped. It tried to claw at me as I with all the might I had ripped the head of the manticore out as I stood triumphantly over its' corpse. I turned around holding my arms out still holding the head of the manticore on my trident.