A Gentle Soul

"So we are happy to welcome you onboard the staff at Beacon Mr. (L/n)."

"Please headmaster just (Y/n) is fine, I was never one for formalities."

He just nodded his head taking a sip of his drink as I did the same with my water.

We were sitting in his office at Beacon going over some small details of my employment here at Beacon. My job was to take on the role of a guidance counselor and a therapist for the students and teachers to confess in. After studying for ten years at the best college I could get into, all my blood, sweat, and effort was finally being rewarded.

"Hmm... Well the school year hasn't started yet so we were planning to hold a staff meeting later in the week to go over some things. Seeing how you are officially part of the staff I would much appreciate it if you could join us on Friday?"

"Of course headmaster, I assume this will also be my introduction to the other teachers?"

"Precisely why not kill two nevermores with one bullet? So the meeting will start at two pm and go until we finish discussing everything. I hope that is alright with you."

"Of course sir, I must say it is an absolute honor to be working here. I've heard only the best things about Beacon no matter where I went."

He put on a warm smile and extended his hand to me.

"I would hope so since that is what I strive for besides teaching the next generation of hunters the best we can. And allow me to formally say this to you... (Y/n) welcome to Beacon Academy as one of the staff, we are pleased to have you here."

I just kinda chuckled a bit and took his hand, firmly grasping it as we shook on my employment.

"Ozpin, headmaster it is truly a pleasure to be here with you right now. I promise to you now, I will make sure to guide the students down the right path no matter what."

"Of course now I will walk you out and we shall speak again at the staff meeting."

I nodded my head releasing his hand and finishing my glass of water.

We walked out of his office and through the desolate, soon to be full hallways of Beacon. We made small talk about our plans for the future of Beacon and the students. While riding the elevator down I couldn't help but think about all the other teachers and who they might be.

"Coming (Y/n)?"

I was stopped from thinking any harder on the others as the headmaster called to me.

"So-Sorry sir!"

Apologetically I stepped out of the elevator as he smiled at me dismissing it.

With that we walked the rest of the way to the entrance of the building. I stopped and waved to him before leaving the building. As I strolled through the courtyard illuminated by the setting sun I felt like my life was finally picking back up after a lull period. I boarded the airship that ferried me back over to Vale as I was excited for the first time since I saw the job application.

I looked around wanting to celebrate with my friends as I pulled out my scroll. Then I just stopped and looked at the device in my hands remembering what I gave up in order to get this job. Suddenly the world felt a bit colder then usual and I was all alone in that world. A forty two year old man who had only a handful of relationships was alone in the world getting the job he dreamed of. To most this would be the absolute best thing that could ever happen but then again it gets lonely when you only focus on yourself and not others.

"........Where is the nearest bar..."

I mumbled to myself typing in the same question to my scroll about to head to my usual coping spot.