STC

The weekend always had him worse than any other day of the week.

Whenever Sasha came over, the two would run off to their family farmhouse and laze away all their tensions of the week. Those weekends, he would always have an excuse ready for his father.

His father who – as if his studies weren't enough to keep him occupied over the two days of the supposed holiday – would always have something for him to do in his office.

No matter how many times he had tried to let it cross his father that he had no interest whatsoever in business, and wanted to keep all his focus in the field he wanted to master in, he just wouldn't have any of it. 

All Hadi's father had to say to his protests was what would happen to their family business once he died without warning. Hadi thought it to be a lame excuse, for his well functioning and more importantly, well interested elder brother was there to keep the business intact. 

Of course, allowing all Hadi's protests to blow into the air, his father would call him to the company every Saturday and Sunday and tell him to take a quick survey and submit a report of his observations, then he'd be sent to his brother's office, who worked as the assistant director,  to learn what he did behind his desk. 

His mother was a weak supporter when it came to being the advocate of his wishes to his father. Hence it was a waste of energy to even try. 

It was Saturday afternoon, and he had just come back from the company, ordering a glass of juice to a servant and climbing up the stairs to lounge on the terrace. 

After a short nap, he might want to sit down to study for the upcoming final module exam which was due in a couple of weeks, because at night he was supposed to go shopping for the costume party with the guys, and most probably the girls also accompanying them, just for the fun of going around a market they had never set foot in before, just because it was associated with the middle class.

They had decided to go there to avoid the headache of tiring themselves out in malls where they were sure they wouldn't find the required items.

Hadi was mentally preparing himself  for the undoubtedly long and exhausting trip to the market, when he heard movements behind him. 

Straightening up on the lounge chair, Hadi turned his neck and smiled as Bilal came around and sat down on the chair across from him, though not before granting him a thump on the back.

"Why do I feel like I'm seeing your ugly face after quite some time?" Bilal quipped, propping one leg over the other. 

Hadi gave a light shrug. "Maybe because you're more into the professors these days." 

Bilal scowled. "Lucky me."

"Really though, what happened?"

"Yar!" Bilal whined, leaning back on the chair. "My father heard I've not been giving too much to studies, and thinks I've been wasting my time lazing about." Bilal snorted. "Can you believe it, he's demanded my end-of-the-module report. Pfft, my ass. Why do I even need to go through the torture when I have an established business to take over?"

"Why not just switch families, really." Hadi groaned.

Bilal gave an amused chuckle. "Why, had a bad day at the factory?"

"Every second in there is worse than the preceding."

Bilal laughed. "You sound like a pathetic girl, complaining like that."

Hadi raised an eyebrow. "And you sounded worse, like an annoying, whiny kitten. So just shut up."

"Kittens are cute. That's a lousy insult." Bilal shrugged. "And I complain all the time, so it's not new. But something got you really bad this time, it seems."