We're Friends

While leaving for the library, her roommate, who was sick with a migraine gripping her head, had asked her to get a sandwich for her from the cafeteria whenever Mirha was supposed to get back.

She had a class at eleven, before which she wanted to be in some peaceful environment and get her mind to focus. Given her roommates' condition, Mirha contemplated what to do first because really, cafeteria wasn't the place she wanted to be at, and considered getting something from the canteen instead. 

She decided to drop her stuff in the library and reserve a seat for herself and then go to the canteen because of course she wouldn't want to go trotting about the campus with a fully loaded bag hanging on her shoulder. 

Mirha chose the table in the corner and was about to turn around to leave when her eyes landed on Hadi on the table across, his head in his hands. He looked tense, probably about the scandal he was knee deep in.

It didn't matter what she thought about the scandal, because if she wasn't particularly nonchalant and indifferent about things, she was neither unkind at heart. So she decided to approach him.

"Are you alright?"

Hadi looked up at the voice, but didn't even feel like so much as rolling his eyes or groan. "I'd really appreciate it if you leave." He said wearily.

He glanced up after a moment and sure enough, Mirha was no longer there looking down at him biting anxiously at her lower lip. 

He had had enough explanations and arguments for a day. More than he would have liked, in fact. He hated situations where he was forced to raise his voice, yell or shout and even so much as be substantially angry at someone. It's a waste of energy. Avoiding them at all costs, he made every effort to not let such a situation arise, and considered thoroughly before doing anything significant. 

Fucking Rohina Jawwad and her impertinent attitude, being drunk at the wrong time and the stupid part and the stupider fictional characters making him go alongside her, all just ruined his day and mood. 

It was after a few minutes when he heard a sliding movement and gazed up only to find Mirha pushing a cup of tea in a disposable glass towards him, her other hand holding a couple of sandwiches. 

"My father always asked me to make him tea whenever he had a headache." She sounded remote and bland in contrast to her actions as she bent down and placed a sandwich beside the cup.

Without another word, she left. Just like that. Hadi stared at the library exit from where Mirha had just disappeared, mute in astonishment, confused and taken aback. What was this girl?

---

“Can’t believe it!” Leila sighed, propping her chin on her palm and leaning forward on her knee. “Poor girl though.” She added after a pause. They were sitting on the stairs waiting for their English class to start, with Bilal standing restlessly, leaning against the banister worrying about the lecture of Professor MQ that he was missing, without any apparent reason. “How her life just got ruined. I can’t fathom being dropped out of university and then being married off to a complete stranger.”

“Good riddance if you ask me.” Sasha clicked, examining her painted nails. “And stop sympathizing with her Leila for crying out loud!”

“Still though, that’s some harsh punishment for merely kissing someone.” Rafay backed Leila agreeing with her statement.

“Stop it guys!” Bilal cried out in extreme annoyance just as Hadi intereferd, feeling exasperated.

“Quit discussing her, yar.”

“Oh sorry.” Leila said timidly tucking her lower lip with her front teeth.

“Don’t you boys have anything to say about it though?” Sasha asked, unable to help her curious nature. “No seriously, nothing?” She shook her head.

“No comments.” Hadi muttered, averting his gaze. 

“Would you shut up already Sasha?!” Bilal growled, leaning over the banister to glare at her.

She rolled her eyes. “Whatever, dickhead.” She said, “Though I would suggest you stop making animal noises. If you really want to apologie to Hadi do it already and get lost to your stupid class youre missing cz of it.” Sasha said fluidly without pause, all in one breath. 

Everyone stared between her and Bilal and then Ma’az laughed out, a booming voice ricocheting off the staircase. Rafay jabbed him on the ribs, making a sour face.

“Hey shut up, dufus, you’re attracting unwanted weird gazes.”

“What was so funny?” Sasha looked around, sounding genuinely surprised.

“He’s such a girl!”  Ma’az snickered, pointing a finger at Bilal and rubbed the sore spot, giving Rafay a venomous glare.

In a quick movement, Bilal sprung on him, nostrils flaring and grabbed Ma'az by the collar. "You son of a-"

"Hey hey hey," Ma'az laughed. "Calm down tiger. I was only kidding."

Giving him a violent shove backwards, Bilal backed off and ran a hand down his hair as he saw Hadi stand up and turn to him. 

He put a hand on his shoulder and said, "I wasn't mad at you Bilal, I was just pissed okay. Let's just forget this even happened, especially when the girl is gone."

"Nuh-uh." Ma'az clicked. "The girl's right here." He snorted looking pointedly at Bilal from whom he earned a blow at the chest as a response. 

Laughing, Hadi said. "Come on, guys. The class is about to start in a few seconds."

The rest of them slowly rose to their feet and started towards the corridor to get to the classroom they'd be having their English lecture in. 

"So you guys cool?" Sasha asked.

"Yeah." Leila nodded. "Rafay apologized after the party."

"And now we're together." Rafay added matter of factly.

All eyes turned to Leila,  completely taken by surprise. The corners of Hadi's lips arched up in amusement. 

"What?!" Sasha almost shrieked, halting midway. People turned to look at her with frowns running down their faces. 

Bewildered, Leila stared at Rafay. "No we're not!" 

"But you said-"

"I said no!"

"No you liar, you said you'd think about it." Rafay fired back. 

"Well, I," Leila stammered, seemingly hesitant and uncomfortable by the looks her friends were presenting her with. "I thought and now it's no."

"Leila-"

"Look Rafay, we're friends okay? Really good friends." Leila said softly, placing a hand on his arm. "I don't want to be more than that. And maybe if you've been a little considerate before announcing it in front of everyone, I've-" she sighed, "let's talk about this later, after the class." 

---