June 3rd, 1944

June 3rd, 1944

He came.

He actually came.

Amelia followed him out into the night. He'd managed to send her a note ahead of time, and so she'd waited for him outside.

They both knew what they wanted.

He'd paid for the hotel, and in the room, they were all alone.

He kissed her with a passion she'd never felt before. She ran her hands through his hair, and when his mouth left her lips to travel a little lower, she let out a noise that was anything but ladylike.

Slowly they undressed each other, enjoying the chance to marvel at the beauty of the other.

She saw scars on his back, and traced over them lightly. He groaned softly, and then turned, taking her breasts in his hands, kissing and sucking, and making her moan as well.

Then he pressed her down into the bed, and they made love to each other.

In the morning, they didn't wish to part, but they both knew that people would come looking for them soon enough.

He took his time to get dressed, and then brought Amelia breakfast. She smiled, and then they made love quickly one last time.

And with that, and a last whisper of "My sunflower," Ivan headed back to the base, and Amelia to the Women's Corps camp.

They didn't know if they'd ever get to see each other again, but they prayed they would.

Amelia had slipped her address into Ivan's notebook, as well as a photo, in case he was sincere about coming to America to find her after it was all over.

On June 5th, at around four in the afternoon, she said one last goodbye to Matthew, hugging him tightly.

"Come back, cousin, okay?"

"Alright, Amelia. I'll do my best."

She watched the planes take off that night, and prayed for the best. Matthew, Francis, and Yao were all on board those planes. As the ships set off, she waved to them and prayed for them as well.

Arthur and Ivan were both part of the ground forces, and they all knew slaughter was inevitable.