June 17th, 1944

June 17th, 1944

I keep checking the lists of survivors during my breaks, and comparing them against the lists of the dead.

Matthew's okay, as is Arthur. Francis is injured, but it's only a minor thing. Yao got it a lot worse. He's probably getting sent back to England.

No sign of Ivan.

Amelia had spent days among the sick and the wounded, and all she wanted to do was weep.

She got an hour break that day, and she went and added names to the list, sorting them by nationality, rank, and alphabetical order.

Once that was done, she went and found Yao.

She'd gotten a brief chance to talk to him at the Officer's ball, and the rumors were true. He was a very nice man. So far from home, she knew that not a lot of people talked to him, so she spent most of her breaks with him.

Francis was sitting there, reading a book to Yao, who rolled his eyes at some parts, and outright laughed at others.

She sighed. She'd miss this. Matthew and Arthur were already gone, and Francis would be leaving soon enough, as Arthur's contact man in the Resistance.

After her time was up, she headed back in for her shift.

Francis tapped her on the shoulder. "Still no word on the one you've been looking for?"

She nodded.

"It's the Russian, no?"

"How do you always know?"

"It's written all over your face, mon ami."

Amelia nodded. "Yeah. I'm hoping I'll see his name, just so I know what happened to him."

"If I see anything, or hear anything, I will try to send you a message."

"Thank you Francis."

He nodded. "Try to get some sleep tonight, mon cheri."

"I'm not your sweetheart."

Francis just smiled.