March 9th, 1945

March 9th, 1945

I gave birth on the seventh, and can you imagine my surprise when they told me I'd had twins?

Alex and Anna are as healthy as can be. Alex has eyes that are close to violet right now, and has yellow hair like me. Anna's got my blue eyes, and hair a color that rivals her father.

Lewis will be so thrilled.

I love him. I do. We've gotten to know one another very well with our letters.

But that doesn't mean I don't miss Ivan occasionally.

I hope that he's in heaven, smiling down on his children.

It was April when the news arrived, along with a photo.

Matthew wouldn't have know, except for the fact that suddenly, from the downstairs half of the ruined house they were staying in, he heard a happy holler of surprise.

"Jesus Fucking H. Christ, what the hell's going on down there?" He shouted.

Lewis was grinning like a fool, holding a photo. "Look! Look Matthew!"

Matthew came downstairs and looked.

Two babies were in the picture Lewis was holding.

"Are you fucking kidding me?" Matthew said, but it was said in a happy way.

The rest of the men were gathering around now.

"A boy and a girl. Alexander Lewis and Anna Victory Baudin!"

They all clapped him on the back, congratulating the new father.

Matthew watched. Even though the kids weren't his, Lewis was absolutely thrilled.

He whispered to himself as he headed back upstairs. "You did good, Amelia. You chose the right one."