Frayed Pink Thread

Absentmindedly pushing the alienated mush across the foam tray, Morty wrinkled his nose at the putrid scent wafting from the warmed food.

Beth and Summer eventually returned from the cafeteria with a meal for him soon after Rick's sudden fit of questions. But it wasn't the slightest appetizing, if anything making his stomach retreat further away from it. Half of it resembled a purple leaf-like paste with small orange transparent spheres scattered around inside of it. The only reason it reminded him of leaves was there were actually a few stray fronds sticking out of the goop. He had absolutely no clue what it was, but it smelled like sewage. The other portion that was slapped onto the foam was along the lines of brown pudding, but it didn't look like something he would want sliding down his throat.

As he pushed his spork through the sludge containing the jellied orbs he listened as Rick spoke with his mother and sister. He had been going on about his new dimension and what he had been taking care of when he was away, as well as trying to ask what would happen now. Beth seemed slightly hurt as he kept going on, but she nodded and flashed him a small grin every once and awhile.

Summer only took on a look of distaste as she kept a pointed gaze on the man.

They paid no mind to Morty as he attempted to create the illusion of eating. Nudging the substances around, he spread them out into neat, subtle piles and made the point of wiping his mouth in case one of them was actually paying attention and placed his tray down on the small rolling table beside him. There was no way he would taste a scrap of that slop.

He was also brought a small cup of water, but Morty sneakily poured it into the waste bin and with a clack returned the cup to it's counterpart plate. He wasn't thirsty, but he knew if either of them spotted him not eating or drinking, that would become yet another problem in the current plethora piling up.

He couldn't recall the last time he had eaten, so when he vaguely heard them say that they were going to get him something, it made him a little relieved. It must have been a few days ago now with an empty stomach, perhaps two or three? Being out cold for so long made him lose track of time so he wasn't positive how long he has been hooked up in here.

But if he knew he would be served this, he would have just said not to bother.

Releasing a heavy sigh, Morty laid back down with a hollow appetite and burrowed his face into his arms as he curled up into a ball away from his family. Partially tuning into Rick's voice, the man was still chattering away with a monotone voice.

"-at's not a possibility, but I'd like to keep an eye on him if I can." He picked up the end of his sentence. Morty narrowed his eyes at a speck on the floor as is interest piqued.

"I..." Beth trailed off as she hesitated, clearly thinking over her words carefully.

Don't tell me he's trying to come back now of all times.

Summer spoke up, her voice deadly serious. "You know Dad won't have this. He will freak out."

"Okay, Jerry out of the picture for now then. I can get around him." Rick retorted. Morty could pick up the off-putting tone from across the room.

She snorted back. "You can't just not include him in this. Do you know how much his ego inflated when you were gone? He will kick you down the street if he sees you."

"Oh I can't wait." The excited purr laced with the blatant resentment had Morty shudder slightly at the provocation. Rick and Jerry were such polar opposites it was dizzying and if they came into contact again..

Morty didn't want to see the outcome.

"I.. think we would need to talk this over. With everyone," Beth croaked with a heavy weight tied to her words. "And you are talking to Jerry about this, Dad. He's a part of this family too."