01 || Changes

New York City, July 25th 1995

The loud sounds of the city below her woke Ivy from the lovely sleep she was having. She sat up rubbing the sleep from her eyes and slowly pulled the covers off her legs. Walking over to the full length mirror in the corner of her room she stared at her reflection. The image that looked back at her had long wavy brown hair that touched down to the bottom of her back, long slim legs and arms, a small nose, freckles that dotted her cheeks, and piercing light blue eyes that she got from her mom.

Yawning she walked into her bathroom and shut the door behind her. Stepping out of her pajamas she turned on the shower and immediately felt the warm water sooth her body as she closed her eyes, just letting the water run down her body. As she was rinsing the peppermint scented shampoo out of her hair Ivy's mother's voice snapped her out of her deep shower thoughts.

"IVY BEATRICE CORNELL! Hurry up and get out of the shower before I shut off the hot water!" Ivy groaned and quickly finished washing her hair. Wrapping a towel around her hair and body she walked back into her room and dug through her closest to find some clothes.

Looking at herself again in her mirror she pulled a purple sweater over her white tank top and looked around for her hairbrush. "Accio hairbrush" she called and the brush found its way to her hand. Combing out all the knots through her thick deep brown colored hair she walked once more into the bathroom brushing her teeth and washing her face. Ivy grabbed her wand and then walked downstairs towards the kitchen where she heard her parents talking and the sound of the bacon sizzling on the stove.

"Good morning my sweet pumpkin pie." Ivy's mom said sweetly in her thick British accent which Ivy loved, it always reminded her that both her parents were not from the US but from London.

Her mom Alice always called her unique nicknames that made Ivy laugh, but most of them were made up from different flavors of pie. "Morning mom, morning dad." Ivy greeted her parents and pulled out a chair sitting next to her mother. Ivy's dad Robert was reading the newspaper while swishing and flicking his wand this way and that cooking them all breakfast.

Around ten minutes later Robert asked Ivy to set the table. Even though Robert or Alice could've just used their magic to set the table, they always liked Ivy to have some sort of responsibility around the house seeing as Ivy was not old enough yet to use magic outside of school. As the food served itself neatly onto her plate she looked down. Pancakes, bacon, fried eggs, and freshly cut strawberries lay in front of her. She smiled because this was her favorite breakfast, but quickly the smile disappeared as Ivy sighed.

"What's wrong hunny?" Alice asked with a hint of worry in her tone.

"Dad made my favorite breakfast meal, you guys only do that when you have bad news." Ivy stated looking at both her parents who were sitting across from her.

"W-What do you mean, I just wanted to co-" Robert spoke up with a somewhat shaky voice before Ivy cut him off.

"Please, just tell me what is going on." Ivy said to her parents expecting the worse.

"Ok...so your father and I both got asked to become aurors at the Ministry two weeks ago." Alice told her daughter awaiting her reaction.

"Mom! Dad! That is great, I know you both have been waiting for a position to open up, I'm so happy for yo-" Ivy was then cut off by her father.

"Ivy, the British Ministry of Magic has offered up the positions. They want us to come work for them."

"Y-You mean in L-London?" Ivy managed to choke out through a shaky voice.

Her father started to reply but Ivy zoned out, her father's words fading as a million thoughts were going through her head. It took her a second to realize that she was actually voicing her thoughts aloud in front of her parents instead of in her head, as her mother grabbed her hand begging her to calm down. After a few moments Ivy's breathes steadied and she wondered where she would go to school, where they would live, and as if her mother read her thoughts she started to talk.

"My parents have found us an average sized home in London that your father and I loved, so we purchased it, and last week a letter arrived in the mail for you." Alice said handing a letter to her daughter smiling. Ivy looked down at the letter curiously and opened it carefully. Pulling out the letter from the envelope she stared down at the paper and read the neat cursive handwriting aloud.

Dear Ivy Cornell,

      We are pleased to inform you that you have been accepted at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Please find enclosed a list of all necessary books and equipment.

      Term beings on September 1. We await your owl by no later that July 31.

      Yours sincerely,

      Minerva McGonagall

      Deputy Headmistress

Ivy just kept staring down at the letter, she could feel tears burn at the back of her eyes as she looked up from the letter meeting her parents gazes. They both looked at her with sympathy but Ivy simply didn't care. The sadness was quickly replaced with rage, as she felt her chest starting to burn up like there was a fire growing inside of her creeping up her throat ready to come out. She couldn't keep it controlled anymore and let it all out.

"SO YOU'RE BOTH SAYING THAT I'M LEAVING MY HOME WHICH I HAVE LIVED IN MY WHOLE LIFE, WE ARE MOVING ACROSS THE COUNTRY TO A PLACE THAT I HAVEN'T BEEN TO SINCE I WAS 3 YEARS OLD, I HAVE TO LEAVE MY SCHOOL WHICH I'M PERFECTLY HAPPY AT, GO TO A COMPLETELY NEW SCHOOL WITH PEOPLE WHOM I DO NOT KNOW, ENTER 5TH YEAR KNOWING NO ONE, AND LEAVE ALL MY FRIENDS BEHIND!" Ivy shouted in rage at both her parents. She felt like her whole world was crumbling around her, and to think everything was fine twenty minutes ago.

"IVY BEATRICE CORNELL! You will not speak to your mother and I that way." Robert yelled at his daughter. But, his face slowly softened and he started to rub his temples sighing.

"Look sweetheart, this isn't easy for us either, that is why we haven't told you yet, we thought it over and we have come to the decision that this is what is best for our family. Your mother and I have waited a long time for an opportunity like this to become available for us, we could finally move out of this apartment into a bigger house, and you would be attending the best Wizardry school out there. Where your whole family has been educated and you would continue our legacy. We know it is hard, but you will make so many new friends so easily with your outstanding personality and you can always stay in touch with your friends from Ilvermorny." Ivy's father said in a calm tone looking down at her.

At this point Ivy had calmed down as her parents both made their way around the table and Ivy stood up as they pulled her into a tight hug.

"When do we leave?" Ivy broke away from her parent's arms asking them in a defeated tone knowing there was no point in arguing with them anymore.

"On August 3rd." is all her father replied with.

Ivy slowly nodded and then she threw her arms around her parents as they did the same. The Cornell family stayed like that for awhile, them all standing in their dining room hugging one another not speaking a word. Ivy thought to herself deep down that her whole life was about to be flipped around, and she just hoped that these changes would all work out in the end.

------------------

(A/N)

Hey everyone!

That's the first chapter! The start of this story that I hope everyone likes. Please leave comments and tell me how you guys liked it, and if you have any problems or suggestions! I hope everyone has a great day!! <3

-Eleanor