05 || A Warm Welcome

Hogwarts, September 1, 1995

Standing in front of Ivy was a tall women with long magenta robes on and a black pointy hat atop her head. She addressed herself as Professor McGonagall and explained to all the nervous first years how the ceremony would work. Ivy stood in the back listening to the women while looking around the entrance hall admiring everything she set her eyes on.

"Miss Cornell, since you are a 5th year you will be going first, follow me please." McGonagall said as Ivy made her way up the steps.

She followed behind the professor until they were standing behind two big grand oak doors. Even though it was a little muffled she could hear voices on the other side of the door, students chatting with each other.

"Before we get the sorting ceremony started I have an announcement to make." Ivy heard a loud low voice start to talk, she assumed that this was Albus Dumbledore, the headmaster of Hogwarts that she heard all about on the train. "This year we have a new student joining us who will be entering into her fifth year, what makes this student so special is that she is our first American transfer student in over 50 years!" she then hears the hall beyond the doors break out into hundreds of whispers and chatter. "SILENCE! Now if you would please do me the honor in welcoming Miss Ivy Cornell!"

The large oak doors suddenly opened as Ivy felt every single pair of eyes fall on her. Following behind Professor McGonagall she walked down the hall in between the tables. She put on a smile but could feel her cheeks turning pink as she looked around at faces that just stared back at her. Just as her parents and friends told her the hall had four long tables for the four different houses and a long table up at the front for professors and staff. Ivy looked around the tables, seeing all the colors correspond with the houses just as she was told. Her eyes quickly landed on the Gryffindor table and she saw her friends as they clapped and smiled for her. She gave them all a small smile and a wave back. As they approached the front of the hall Ivy was sat down onto a stool and an old worn out brown hat was placed atop her head.

As Ivy's eyes scanned the room they stopped the second she hit the table with green colors representing Slytherin. Her eyes fell onto a tall boy with shockingly platinum blond hair. Ivy stared at him feeling a sudden ache in her chest as he was hunched over the table head in his hands. Then he slowly lifted his head as if he could feel Ivy's gaze on him and his eyes met hers. They were a mixture of a light blueish grey and they stared at each other for a long moment before the hat started talking, making her jump and tear her gaze away from the mysterious Slytherin boy.

"Hmmm, now where to put you. You're intelligent and independent, you would do well in Ravenclaw, but you are also caring and kind like a Hufflepuff. Ahh but you want to prove yourself to others and have a controlling side to you, all traits of Slytherin, but alas you are fierce, brave, and have a strong sense of courage. Well it better be...GRYFFINDOR! the hat exclaimed as everyone at the Gryffindor table got up and started cheering very loudly. Ivy smiled as Professor McGonagall took the hat off her head and she headed over to her new house table. As Ivy reached the table she was pulled into a tight hug by Fred and George and then by Harry, Hermione, and Ron.

"Welcome to Gryffindor Ivy, I knew you would be in our house!" Hermione exclaimed letting go of Ivy as she sat down next to her.

As the clapping stopped the rest of the first years were brought in to be sorted into their houses. The next 20 minutes was made up by first years getting sorted and different houses clapping each time. Once the ceremony was finally over Dumbledore stood up tapping his spoon to his glass goblet. He welcomed back everyone and as he sat down a feast appeared right before Ivy's eyes. Starving she served herself some chicken, mashed potatoes, and some green beans.