004. a man apologising for his actions? surely not

He stays late at the hospital, he knows that Charlie needs a few hours to cool off, they both do. The last time they argued, they didn't speak for nearly 3 months, and he did not want to go through that again. He gets a taxi to Meredith's house. The driver pulls up and he throws a 20 dollar bill at him and jumps out of the cab. He slams the door and runs up the steps to Meredith's house. He bangs loudly on the glass pane that serves as a front door. He keeps banging until Meredith appears.

"Alex," Meredith says with an exhausted tone as she opens the door.

"Is she here? I went by her place and she wasn't answering, so I figured here would be the next place she would be." Alex stands in the doorway, with a pleading look in his eyes.

"She's just gone off to sleep. She's exhausted herself. I don't think now is the best time." Meredith says leaning against the door.

"Mer, please. 5 minutes, that's all I want." He asks her. His face is full of regret.

"She's your best friend, Alex. And you just had to go and sleep with...well, whatever Addison is to her. You don't walk back from that easily." She crosses her arms and raises an eyebrow at him.

"I didn't sleep with her! That's the thing! She kissed me then we were in the on-call room and I stopped and asked her to stop and think about what she was doing because I knew that if Charlie found out, it would cause something exactly like this." He says to her, Meredith takes a breath.

"Wait here." She says with a roll of her eyes.

"Mer!" He calls just before she heads inside. "Tell her 'now we're even for Aimee Mendez.' She'll know what you mean." She gives him a look but nods her head. She goes into the house, shutting the door behind her, leaving Alex on the porch.

*

Charlie burritos herself in the comforter. Cristina sits beside her, making sure she doesn't start crying again. She's not quite asleep and not quite awake, in the in-between.

"I heard Evil Spawn outside. Everything okay?" Cristina asks, sitting up in bed.

"He wants to apologise to her, I left him on the doorstep. Is she finally asleep?" Charlie feels the bed dip and she stirs slightly. She lets out a groan and sits up. "I take that as a no. How are you feeling?"

"Exhausted." She says sitting up and rubbing her eyes. "Is he still here?"

Meredith nods her head. "He won't leave until he sees you." Charlie groans and flops back down on the bed. "He also told me to tell you that he's sorry and that now you're even for the Aimee Mendez situation," Meredith tells her, she just shrugs her shoulders when Cristina gives her a look of curiosity.

Charlie lets out a laugh, her hand reaching out to grab a pillow to cover her face with.

"What happened with Aimee Mendez?"  Meredith asks her. Charlie removes the pillow and sits up, gripping it in her lap.