Chapter 12

Hakeem's POV

"What the hell was that about Hakeem?!" Jimmy snapped at me immediately we got into my office. I ignored him, dumping the files I had in my hand on the table and going to sit down.

"I asked you a question, Hakeem." Jimmy repeated and I looker at him. He really wasn't smiling. A deep frown was creased across his face and he had his arms folded.

"I don't understand what you are talking about, Jimmy." I replied in a simple tone, feigning ignorance. He scoffed and hit his fist on the table, clearly frustrated.

"The hell you do!" He snapped at me. "You were supposed to give Aisha that case. We talked about it. We came to a fücking conclusion." Jimmy ranted and I sat up immediately.

"No. You came to a conclusion. I was trying to tell you that she wasn't cut out to take the case but you kept insisting. So I had to take laws into my hands." I retorted.

"Can you hear yourself?" Jimmy asked rhetorically, letting out a humorless laugh. "I don't know what you have against that girl. You have been giving her an attitude since she got o the firm and that is so unfair on her. That case is in her line of practice so remind me again why you outrightly refused to give her that case."

"Because she can't take that case!" I yelled. Jimmy looked on, not saying a word. "She can't take that case. She won't take that case." I stood by my word.

Maybe I went overboard with the way I painted everything in the conference room. Maybe I embarrassed Aisha a bit but I had to do what I had to do. If this is a wake up call for her to snap out of whatever fantasy she's living in with that beast she calls a fiancé then I have no regrets whatsoever.

"Hakeem, I don't know what you have against her but whatever it is, you have to put it aside for the good of the firm." Jimmy stated matter-of-factly.

Before I could reply him, someone barged into my office. Jimmy and I looked up only to see Aisha. I smirked to myself because I was expecting it already. Her eyes locked with mine immediately.

"We need to talk." She stated, her gaze not wavering.

"Great. World war three is about to start." Jimmy said before looking at me. "Fix this." He added and walked out of my office, closing the door behind him and leaving Aisha and I alone.

"What can I do for you?" I asked nonchalantly and she scoffed, obviously surprised at the question I asked.

"Are you serious right now?" She asked rhetorically, walking further into the office. "After the stunt you pulled in there, you are asking me what you can do for me?!" Her voice was rising by a notch at every word.

"Hakeem, you have done quite enough! What the hell was that all about? That case is in my line of practice and you basically yanked it from me." She said and it was my turn to scoff.

"Yeah right." I stood up from the chair and she looked at me in confusion, folding her hand across her chest. "How fücking ironic that your practice is Domestic Violence Law and yet, there you are." I continued, gesturing to her as a sign of emphasis.

"Excuse me?" She asked incredulously.

"Aisha, you and I know that the case being in your line of practice isn't the only reason you wanted to take that case." I told her and she shook her head, scoffing out in a manner that said you don't know what you are talking about.

"You wanted to take up that case because you felt pity for her." I moved closer to her, stabbing my pointer finger in the air emphatically. "Because she's just like you." I deadpan. Aisha looked at me, her eyes flashing, her jaws locked, an expression that showed that she was angry.