VI. FEARS AND SCARS

☆꧁*꧂☆

☆꧁*꧂☆

It was now time for the second part of initiation. Christina, Tris and I along with the rest of the initiates were waiting outside the simulation room.

The door opens to reveal Molly, who was shaking up in fear.

"What did they do to her?" Christina asks while I just shrug my shoulders nervously.

The door opens again, Four appearing into the waiting area. "Gen." He calls out as I enter the simulation room. "Take a seat."

I sit on the chair, while Four sets up some equipment.

"Are you going to walk me through the process? Or are you just gonna jab a needle into me?" I say sarcastically as he rolls his eyes playfully.

"I'm gonna inject you with a serum that simulates the part of your brain that processes fear. It induces hallucination and then transmitters in the serum allow me to see the images in your mind." He explains.

"You can see inside my mind?" I bite down on my lip nervously.

"Mhm." He hums in agreement, coming towards me, grabbing my shoulders and gently pushing me back into the chair. "Lean back."

"Damn, that's a big needle." I chuckle apprehensively.

"Hey, it's gonna be okay. I'll be here. Right beside you, alright?" He assured me, rubbing my arm soothingly and I give him a short nod. "Ready?"

"Ready as I'll ever be." I take a deep breath.

He brushes my hair behind my ear, giving him access to the correct nerve before injecting the serum into my neck.

"Okay, you're going to be facing your worst fears, Gen. Most people have ten to fifteen really bad ones. You have to calm yourself. Slow your heart rate and your breathing and deal with what's in front of you. Be brave." He elucidates.

I close my eyes as the stimulation begins. I open them to appear in a field by the city fence near the Amity faction, I see a flock of crows flying towards me and as I try to run, I get stuck in the mud, the crows attack me and I fall near a puddle of water.

"This isn't real." I remind myself. I drop my face into the puddle. I then find myself fallen completely into the water, as I start swimming away I snap out of simulation.

As I snap out of the simulation, Four is by my side, wrapping his arms around me.

"Alright. It's alright. It's alright. You okay?" He asks.