Chapter 16

Got a long chapter for you guys. Berica :)

Ben POV

"Erica told me that the EMP she saw had about a 1-mile circle worth of power not including height," I said carefully "but say for example they put it at the top of the Washington monument then they would probably have enough power to wipe out a lot of the US government's and quite a bit of the CIA."

Cyrus seemed to mull over it as he drove and Catherine seemed shocked. I saw in Erica's eyes worry for 1.32 seconds. Erica cursed under her breath. Catherine sat there gaping and thinking.

"Well, the van is pulled up to a motel we need to stay and listen to their conversations," said Cyrus.

"Hey, Cyrus I am going to recruit two agents, I believe you let me do this," I said cautiously.

I looked over at Erica and she was glaring at Cyrus with a why does he get to do it glare. I smirked at this.

"Who?" said Cyrus 

"Mike Brezinski and Zoe Zibbell," I told Cyrus 

"When we are inside I'll vet them," replied Cyrus

We followed Cyrus into the motel just as the people from the van were told their room number "23" they carried a large bag that probably held the EMP. I noticed Erica's eyes look at it too.

"Hello we want three rooms, and could they be rooms 21, 22 and 24 ? said Catherine in an upbeat voice.

"75 bucks," said the cashier looking at her phone.

Cyrus handed her the money and split me, Erica into a room and Cyrus and Catherine into another. Mike and Zoe were to be in the last room. Cyrus called me on his phone and said that Mike and Zoe would arrive in 15 minutes. We waited until they arrived. Cyrus went down to meet them and take them to our rooms. 

"BEN WHY DID YOU GO ON A MISSION WITHOUT ME," said Mike yelling.

Erica gave him a glare and hissed "The walls are pretty thin so shut."

Mike kicked me where the sun doesn't shine and I groaned.

"Come on man I thought we were friends," I said.

Zoe took it much better and hugged me. I noticed Erica's eyes narrow at this. Cyrus had to debrief the two as Catherine had a call. When she returned she looked sad.

"I'm sorry kiddos but I have to go on a mission," she said. I grew more demoralized as one of our best agents was off the mission. She noticed this and group hugged us all. Erica and Cyrus of course didn't join in.

"The new room arrangements are me alone, Erica and Ben, and Zoe and Mike," announced Cyrus but I could detect a hint of disappointment. I saw Zoe glare at Erica when Cyrus announced this. I could hear footsteps down the hall and the van men were leaving with the bag in their hands. 

"They are taking the bag with the EMP with them for safekeeping," I said.

"Erica and Ben infiltrate their room and place these bugs," said Cyrus handing us a pack of gum. I took it and eyed it carefully. Erica made a follow me gesture and I turned and followed her she took me to a vent in the back of the room and popped it open. We made our way through the vents and got into their room.

I started looking for good spots to bug and then after placing 3, Erica took my pack and placed the rest. When we got back to the room they had set up some equipment for monitoring the bugs. Cyrus had left for his room and for privacy. I suspected he may have his own equipment.

Zoe piped up first "Who wants to play truth or dare while we wait?"

Me and Mike said yes while Erica grudgingly said yes but for one round.

Mike started and dared Zoe to sit in his lap. Me and Erica snickered as they both turned red. Zoe dared Erica to hug me till the end of the game and I turned scarlet. Erica dared Mike to wrap his arms around Zoe and he did. 

"Ben T or D," said Mike snickering under his breath.

"Truth," I said

"Wimp," said Mike "Do you like Erica?"

"Y-yes," I said turning even redder than scarlet. I noticed Erica turn red too.

Erica stopped hugging me and that t or d was over. I went to go get a snack and 10 minutes later I heard footsteps go down the hall and I started listening to the bugs.

Here's the plan after we set the EMP we have to leave the city before 5:00 PM go to the HQ and then we get paid. Got the plan let's get ready

"Guys, the EMP goes off at 5:00 PM tomorrow," I said. 

"It's 10:32 we should get some rest and get ready for tomorrow," said Erica.

I sighed and got onto the bed and turned red realizing we were sharing. Erica got onto the bed and whispered "goodnight." I whispered back "goodnight." I fell asleep straight away.

I dreamed of EMP's and Erica.