Best Kept Secret

Chapter 15: Best Kept Secret pt. 1
Stella's POV
•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

I stood next to Coach Baker on the sidelines as we watched this playoff game play out. During the beginning part of the game, Coach noticed the tension between Jordan and I. I think everyone did because we never once looked at one another, well at least I never looked in his direction. Usually Coach Baker has me talk to Jordan when he's out to talk about strategies, but today he's being doing that which I am thankful for.

"And another thrilling victory for the Beverly High Eagles," the announcer spoke as the game clock sounded.

I stood near Coach Baker's office while the boys grouped together in the locker room to celebrate their win. "All right, whose house?" Jordan shouted.

"Our house!" The boys yelled.

"Whose house?"

"Our house!"

"Who's next?" Jordan questioned.

"South Crenshaw!" The boys shouted back.

"Your old team, bro," JJ reminded Spencer as he patted him on the back.

"The best gift I could give y'all after a game like that is a short speech," Coach Baker started off his end of game speech. The players cheered in happiness for a short speech since Coach can ramble on and on for quite a bit. "You've given me everything all year and I thank you for that. I-." Coach paused and looked back at me before continuing, "we are just asking for one more game. If we beat South Crenshaw, we will be state champions. Y'all heard?"

"Yes sir!"

"I said "y'all heard?"" Coach Baker repeated louder.

"Yes sir!"

"Let's get it."

Coach Baker tapped Jordan on the shoulder and singled for him to follow him. "Look, we wouldn't have made it this far without you. The team couldn't ask for a better captain, and, um, I couldn't ask for a better son, so I'm proud of you."

"So much for your short speech, dad," Jordan replied with a smirk. Jordan looked over at me and gave me a weak smile. I turned around and headed out of the locker room so that the guys could finally change, but mainly because I wanted to avoid Jordan.

----

I was over at JJ's house the next day, hanging out with him since it's been a while since the two of us have actually hanged. "Mario Kart?" JJ asked me as he picked up a controller and waved it with his hand.

"Oh for sure," I agreed as I accepted the controller from him.

JJ and I played Mario Kart for a few hours before we agreed to a bet on the last race. Loser has to do wherever the Winner says. I was leading as it came down to the final stretch of the race track when all of a sudden, JJ grabbed my controller out of my hands and chucked it across the room, far away from me.

I let out a shriek as I watch the remote go soaring across the room before tackling JJ onto the couch so that he couldn't finish the race. Clearly JJ is stronger so my plan didn't work out like I thought it would.

JJ tossed me off of him after I failed to get his controller. I raced to go get mine but by the time I got back to the couch, JJ had already won. "No fair," I whined as I gave JJ a pouty face. "You cheated."

"We never agreed to not throwing each other's controllers across the room," JJ responded with a smirk. I flopped down on the couch and let out a groan.