Chapter 4- Know-It-Alls & Brother Dearest

After Sherlock disappeared into the night, I helped John down the stairs and took off my booties and made my way to the door. As we we're on our way out, we were stopped by none other than Donovan.

"He's gone."

"Who, Sherlock Holmes?" John asks.

"Yea, he just took off. He does that."

"Do you know if he's coming back?" I ask her.

She looks at me kinda dirty before responding, with fake remorse.

"Didn't look like it."

I fake smiled. "Right, well we're gonna head back then. Such a pleasure to meet you, Sergeant."

I turned to John and nodded before beginning to walk to the tape when John spoke to Donovan.

"Sorry, where are we?"

"Brixton."

"Right, it's just... my leg"

It was at that point I realized, we couldn't just walk back. Even if his limp was mental, it still affects him. I let out a sigh and stopped to wait for him to finish talking. Donovan walked over to the tape and lifted it for John and I.

"Try the main road."

I let John go before me as we began walking under and back to the main road.

"Thanks" I said to Donovan as I stood back up.

"But you're not his friends." she responded.

"I'm sorry?"

"He doesn't have friends."

She had a small smirk on her face. I wanted nothing more than to wipe it off but I held my tongue. The last thing I needed was to be arrested for clocking an officer.

"So who are you guys?" she asked us.

"I'm... I'm nobody. I just met him." John told her. She then turned to me.

"And, who are you?"

"Now, that's really none of your business now, isn't it?" I responded.

"Yea? Well a bit of advice then. Stay away from that guy."

"Why?" John and I asked her.

"You know why he's here?" She asked us.

We waited for her response and I was trying hard to hold my tongue.

"He's not paid or anything. He likes it." She paused and looked at me in the eyes. "He gets off on it."

Hold your tongue, River.

"The weirder the crime, the more he gets off. And you know what?"

"What?" I said in a voice i could barely recognise as my own.

"One day, just showing up won't be enough." She turned her eyes to me. "One day we'll be standing round a body and Sherlock Holmes will be the one that put it there."

I stared back at her with so much fury in my eyes and I couldn't control it anymore.

"Why would he do that?" John asked her.

"Because he's a psychopath."

I twitched at the statement and swallowed hard.

"Psychopaths get bored."

"Donovan!" Lestrade called out to her.

"Coming." she called back.

" You know, you sure talk a lot about someone who you know nothing about." I said to her.