Chapter 5- Dead Lady's Luggage & Third Wheeling

"Sherlock?" I question him.

"That's," John stumbles backwards a little before catching himself. "That's the pink lady's case, that's Jennifer Wilson's case."

I looked at John and all I could see was horror on his face.

"Yes, obviously." Sherlock responded not yet realizing the situation yet still looking down at the case.

"John...don't." I start walking towards them both.

Sherlock finally realizes John's tone and smacks his lips.

"Oh, perhaps I should mention, I didn't kill her."

"I never said you did."

"Why not? Given that text I just had River send and the fact I have her case, it's a perfectly logical assumption."

"Sherlock, do people usually assume you're the murderer?" I ask concerned, now walking towards him and the case to see what's inside.

He turns his head and smirks at me.

"Now and then, yes."

I don't know how to respond to that.

He jumps up and sits on the top of the chair he was sitting in. John walks over to the chair right across from him and sits there. I take my place, in between the boys, in front of the fireplace on the floor. I sat and stared at the fire, watching the flames raise and lower until John speaks.

"How'd you get this?"

"By looking." Sherlock responds.

"Where?" I ask turning back around to face the boys.

"The killer must have driven her to Lauriston Gardens." Sherlock turned his head to look at us. "He could only keep her case by accident if it was in the car. Nobody could be seen with this case without drawing attention to themselves, particularly a man, which is statistically more likely"

I let out a laugh at that statement before apologizing.

"So obviously he'd feel compelled to get rid of it, the moment he realized he still had it." I chime in.

"Precisely, wouldn't have taken him more than five minutes to realise his mistake. I checked every backstreet wide enough for a car five minutes from Lauriston Gardens, and anywhere you could dispose of a bulky object without being observed. Took me less than an hour to find the right skip."

"Sherlock, you dumpster dived for a suitcase?" 

He completely ignored my statement as John spoke up.

"Pink. You got all that because you realised the case would be pink?"

"Well, it had to be pink, obviously." I pointed out.

"Why couldn't I think of that?" 

"Because you're an idiot." Sherlock responded.

"Sherlock!" I yelled at him shocked.

"No, no, no, don't look at me like that. Practically everyone is. Ms. Maddox here barely passes that threshold."

"Well gee, aren't I just the lucky one to understand your genius" I respond sarcastically.

Sherlock waved me off.

"Now, look," Sherlock gestured to the case. "Do you see what's missing?"

"From the case? How could I?" John responds sarcastically.

"Her phone." I chime in. "Where's her phone?"

"Right, there was no phone on the body, there's no phone in the case. We know she had one. That's her number there, River just texted it."