Chapter 3

The day of the operation. Yayyyy! I was holding back my tears as Mr Jumbo walked in, today with a big hospital trolly and a key in his hand, which they were both unusually stained red. I guess I shouldn't be surprised. He's turning into one of them. He had to go onto his tip-toes to reach the lock on the roof. It was that high up to assure I could never pick the lock. Our faces were uncomfortably close and I could feel his breath in my arm. I tried to maintain my dead facial expression although being this close to someone after so long made me weirdly happy, despite the fact this person in particular was taking me to the worst thing to ever happen to me.

The lock opened with a snap and I fell to my knees. My legs were so weak after not being used for so long. I tried to stretch my wings before remembering they were tied together. Remembering it brought back the pain of the rope digging into my oversensitive wings. Mr Jumbo helped my stand and led me to the trolly. I lay down on my side so as to cause the least amount of pressure on my wings. I stared at the place where I once hung as we rolled out of the room.

I was facing all of the cells of the other 'patients' as they called us. They were mostly half dogs or cats with some other land animals mixed in, but no other avians. I knew I was the last of my kind. Why I still looked for another was a mystery. They all had their wings cut off and bled to death. That's how they made elytra. Sure, kill of the natural flyers so everyone else can fly. Real fair. We walked past a couple of guards and Mr Jumbo showed them some ID. So he really was working with them.

We turned into a section of the building I had never been in before. I shut my eyes, trying to believe if I never saw the inevitable coming it would never happen. We walked through a set of doors, then turned a corner and I heard a button being pressed. I opened my eyes. We were in an elevator. I looked across to Mr Jumbo as he was standing beside the trolly and he looked down at me and put his fingers across his lips to tell me to be quiet. He stood back and there was 3 guards standing there. I gasped and tucked my head into the crook of my elbow. I heard a guards snort and whisper something to Mr Jumbo. He chuckled and there was a ping. The trolly started shaking and we were on the move again. I looked up at him and he had a deadly serious look on his face. There was shout from behind us and I looked back. The guards from the elevator were following us, running.

"How long has it been since you last flew?" Me Jumbo asked quickly, he was running now.
"Around 2 and a bit years wh..." I caught on. I looked forwards and there was a door to the outside. I put my hand up to cover my eyes as the sun was so bright. The trolly stopped and Mr Jumbo came to the front of it. He reached into his pocket and pulled out a pain of metal scissors. Like scissors for metal. He snipped the chains on my wrists and I flinched when the tool was so near my skin again. But I trusted him. He then went round to my back and cut the rope on my wings. All the while the guards were getting closer to us.

"I'll be ok. Meet you at the top of the tallest building soon." He said and ran into the side forest.
"Forget the man get the bird!" They were coming for me. I outstretched my wings and they slowed down in hesitation. I seemed much bigger with them out. With all of my might I flapped at hard as I could and flew into the air. It was shaky and unsteady but I was flying again. The air rushed by my skin as I flew higher and higher, never wanting to stop. The rush of adrenaline pushed me to go higher. I was flying! For the first time in, well my life, I was really free! It was all thanks to Mr Jumbo. Mr Jumbo.

I flew down a bit until I could see the forest paths. There was a black dot running along one of them being followed by around half a dozen white and blue dots. That had to be Mr Jumbo being chased my the guards. I swiped down and flew above him. He didn't spot me and kept running. I went even lower so I was right behind him. He was really fast but I could easily keep up with him.
"Hi Jumbo!" I said cheerily. Well I was free do you expect me to be sad? Mr Jumbo didn't say anything but huffed and puffed as he ran, getting slower as he ran out of energy. I drifted behind him and put my arms under his shoulders to grip him around the waist. He was shocked at first but then realised what was going on.

I lifted him up with little struggle and floated above the guards as they ran underneath us. I assume it was Mr Jumbo's first time flying as he was having the time of his life. I didn't know where to go.
"Can we go back to the roof of the hospital?" He asked. I didn't really want to go back to that place but it was Mr Jumbo asking. I assume if he wanted to kill me he would have done it when I was vulnerable. Now I was much bigger than him with my wings, and much stronger too.

We circled back and landed on the roof of the staff building which had a bunch of red power sprawled all over it. Mr Jumbo placed down a few bits of something and then threw down a lot lighter and signalled for me to fly. I grabbed hold of him and took off. We skated away as I heard a boom. I turned and watched as the side of the building got exploded by what must have been dynamite. The wall crumbled and fell letting the prisoners inside escape. He had that the whole time. He didn't want to kill the hybrids. He truly wanted to help us.