Chapter 5

I woke up to the noise of quiet voices talking. I opened my eyes to see that a TV was playing. It took me a while to remembering that I'd fallen asleep next to Mumbo, who was still sitting there, he had grabbed the remote so as not to disturb me and watched TV.
"What time did you wake up?" He jumped at my question and yelped.
"Grian! Oh my goodness you scared the life out of me!" He clenched his heart as I giggled and sat up.
"Around about an hour, why?" I had been lying on Mumbo for an hour? Wait no, even longer than that! I was flustered at the thought but kept my composure.
"No reason, I was just wondering." I stood up and stretched, my wings nearly covering the length of the room. Mumbo ducked out of the way as he knew my wings were sensitive.

"Are you ready to go to the safe place today?" He asked me and stood up once my wings were out of the way. I nodded and jumped like an excited toddler. I suppose that's exactly what I am. He laughed and went through to the kitchen. I followed and was amazed at the amount of food there was.
"There's nothing really but I have toast or cereal." Mumbo seemed ashamed that he only had two options but it was better than no food! I didn't realise how hungry I was until I started eating my cereal. I was handed a glass of orange juice and couldn't believe it! These were given to the guards as a treat! And Mumbo is drinking this for breakfast. I was grinning like a madman at this point. This new life was amazing!

We both tried not to step on any of Mumbo trinkets as they left and succeeded! We walked out of the building and Mumbo scanned his card to lock the door. He stepped out onto the pavement and started walking down the street. I stood at the door of the house as he walked on. Does he realise we have a faster way of travelling? Whether he does or not I'm going to fix this. I flew over to him and scooped him up in my arms, bridal style. Once again he wasn't expecting it.

"Grian! What are you doin... nonononono this is to high! Grian put me down! Put me down now grianisweartogodifyoudontputmedown! GRIANNNNNN!" I laughed as the man tried to escape before looking down and seeing how high we were off of the ground. He sunk back into my arms and cling onto me for dear life. Eventually he got used to it as we soared through air. Mumbo pointing out where to go as I followed his directions. Having never gone from the air before his directions were a bit off but we got there in the end. I prepared myself for the questions and the googling at my wings.

Are those real?

Aren't the Avains dead?

How are you alive?

Can I fly with you?

Can I feel your wings?

Even fully grown adults had asked those questions to me when I was a small child. It was terrifying and painful as I didn't think I could say no to them. Me and Mumbo were almost there and I hoped that since they were hybrids they would be less all over me. As the building got into view I saw 4 people sitting in chairs beside a fairly large house and 3 more people playing basketball on a court. It was in a secluded area surrounded by trees and stood out, but only if you saw it from the air.

As we flew in to land Mumbo jumped out of my arms and everyone ran over to him, not paying me much attention. I liked it that way but I wanted to stick by Mumbo. I cautiously walked up to him as I spread out my wings to make myself look bigger. In doing so, one of the people caught sight of me.

He turned to look at me. We were caught in a staring contest. He had golden locks and wore a red T-shirt and trousers with a black vest over the top. He had horns and a spiky tail. He tilted his head and I tried to make my wings even larger. He calmly relaxed his shoulders and pulled out two red skinny wings. They were smaller than mine and looked like a dragons, they had no feathers but they were wings alright. I didn't expect to see another person with wings so I was a bit shocked. He walked up to me and interlocked his arm with mine. I relaxed my wings and snapped back to the situation.

"Another winged friend! How wonderful! My name is Tango!" He smiled widely at me and I giggled. He took me and introduced me to the rest of the people there.
There was:
Tango, who was a nether demon
A zombie hybrid named Cleo
A half robot half creeper named Doc
A slime mutant named Jevin
A mysterious man hidden behind a mask named Xisuma
A human named Stress
And another human named Iskall, who was Swedish apparently

There was quite a lot of people but I'm sure I'll get used to it. Only Stress seemed really interested in my wings. She really wanted to touch them because they looked so pretty but I asked her if she didn't and she accepted that. But when I was talking to Xisuma later I swear I saw her eyeing them up. Maybe life here wasn't going to be bad after all. Maybe this could be exactly what I need to get my life together.