Chapter 4

We sat on top of the surrounding buildings to the hospital. They were a little ways away but close enough to see the hybrids running out of their cells after the wall had collapsed. Those who couldn't get out were getting helped by bulls who were bashing down doors. The guards were running around trying to contain everyone as goats were ramming into people and dogs were biting people. It was beautiful to see the hybrids fighting back.

"Well I suppose we should start over." A voice came from beside me. I looked over to Mr Jumbo who shifted to be sitting in his knees staring at me. He held out his hand and I flinched.
"Mumbo. Mumbo Jumbo." He said smiling, I smiled back and shook his hand.
"Grian, and I never got given a last name." I replied, smiling back, "What now?"
"Well I could leave you on your own or I could take you somewhere safe?" There was safe places? My heart couldn't take this. After years of being tortured and hurt I was going to be safe. I hugged Mumbo and squeezed him tightly.
"Safe place please." I squeaked in a small voice.

Mumbo was a bit taken aback by my hug but hugged me back. I let go and rubbed the back of my neck. He seemed to feel just as awkward as I did. He cleared his throat and stood up to stretch his legs before walking over to the side of the buildings roof. I scrambled to stand and went after him. He pointed to the distance there was nothing but trees for miles.
"Do you see over there? The trees stretch for ages." He smiles as he talked, like he was thinking of someone or something important to him. I didn't have many memories like that.
"That's where they go. I take them there. No one finds them." He was talking about the safe place. I really wanted to fly over there right now but I had to stay with Mumbo if I wanted to go.
"We can go there in the morning. It's to late now." It wasn't immediately but it was better than nothing.

Mumbo started walking towards the other side of the roof and down the fire escape ladder. I followed but spread my wings and slowly floated down beside him. He looked at me and rolled his eyes jokingly. I giggled and we reached the ground. He led me around the building and down the street. Just to be safe I tucked my wings in and tried to hide them as best I could. It didn't really work but if you just glanced at them you might think they were just a backpack.

Mumbo took me to a tall flat building and pulled out a card. It was the same one from the hospital. It wasn't an ID card, it was a key to get into his apartment. He scanned it and the door buzzed and opened. He stepped inside and held the door open. I went in and started fiddling with my hands. There was so many doors leading down the corridor. I knew they were all apartments but something inside me told me they were hospital rooms and I was back. I couldn't escape. It was all happening all over again. Suddenly there was a hand on my shoulder. I looked up to see Mumbo. I stared into his eyes and he led me towards his apartment and put in the key slowly.

I started panicking but less than before as Mumbo was here. He went in and seeing that it was only a 3 roomed little home I managed to calm down. The floor was covered with the same red power that we used to blow up the hospital, there was wires and devices everywhere. I put my hand down on a table and felt something sticky attach to it. Mumbo noticed and ran over to help detach the 'piston' from my hand. It was funny, seeing someone be so into making little devices that do things. I always liked building when I was back at camp because it let me be creative and express how I felt. Ren just went with the flow of things. He never worried about what was going to happen and he always managed to to be happy, even in the worst situation.

Mumbo showed me his bedroom, it only had a single bed and he assured me that he would be fine sleeping on the couch that night. It was getting late and I hadn't had a good nights sleep in ages so I agreed. As soon as my head hit the pillow I was down. In my dreams I was flying through feild a of flowers with Mumbo. I had only known him for about a week and yet we were already in each other's dreams. At least I hope we were. It would be weird if I was the only one.

I woke up in the middle of the night to what I thought was the sound of doors clanking closed. At first I thought I was back in the hospital before reminding myself I was free now. Standing up, I left the bedroom and looked into the living room to see Mumbo snoring on the sofa with one hand draped off onto the floor. He looked so funny. His moustache bouncing every time he breathed. I yawned but I didn't want to go back to bed. It reminded me of being alone and I didn't want to be alone anymore. I sleepily walked over to the sofa and slowly budged Mumbo over a little. I lay on my stomach and cuddled into Mumbo. Not to much because I didn't want it to be weird but enough so that I didn't feel alone. I used my wings to bed into a sort of blanket for us since the real one had mostly fallen onto the floor. It had been a while since I had been this close to anyone. It felt nice, comforting almost.