Herrmann's Angel (Chicago Fire)

Christopher Herrmann of Truck 81, Firehouse 51 stood outside taking in the fresh air. Everything was going on great in his life at the moment. So he stood and he took a deep breath, his eyes scanning the neighborhood that they protect.

He grew confused as his eyes caught something bright white in the middle of summer, Herrmann squinted and raised his hand to block the sun. Smiling as he sees a dog slowly walking down the sidewalk, he looked behind the animal for the owner to be walking behind it.

But as he looked, he noticed the dog was by itself. So he walked a little further from the firehouse and whistled, patting his leg as the dog jumped and looked over. Herrmann backed away slowly even though they were at least twenty feet apart, the dog had pulled it's lips back and snarled as it's hair stood up.

The firefighter raised his hands, "okay, okay." He continued to back away and went inside the firehouse. Looking back to the dog and noticing it was gone.

"Herrmann!" Said man jumped and looked to Severide, "Woah, you okay? You look like you've seen a ghost."

Herrmann shook his head, "Just met an aggressive dog out front, but it's gone now."

Severide smiled a little, "Is it completely white?" Herrmann nodded, looking at the lieutenant with narrowed eyes. "Yeah, she's walked by the firehouse around the same time everyday."

The crew member of Truck 81 sighed, "Why doesn't animal control pick her up?"

Severide shrugged, "I called and they said she was a hard one to capture, always evades them."

Herrmann smiled, "I think it's time someone showed that dog some kindness."

<><><>

So for the next month, Herrmann was outside on a chair everyday while on shift. He would leave a bowl of meat at the end of the driveway and wait. The first two tries consisted of the dog looking at it and then Herrmann before walking away.

Once the dog started to eat the meat, Herrmann moved it closer and closer to the firehouse bit by bit. His fellow firefighters and chief observing every once in a while to assure Herrmann didn't get himself mauled.

On the bad days, seeing this dog was a breath of fresh air. 

By the end of the month, the dog would cautiously walk to the bowl. It was only five feet away from where Herrmann sat on a chair. As she got closer, Herrmann noticed that there was a scar that ran along her front leg. It looked as if someone took a knife to it.

No wonder you don't trust humans, Herrmann thought. 

The next time Herrmann was on shift, he held a bag of bacon and sat in the chair. Otis and Cruz walked to him, the Russian speaking first. "You really think she'll take food from your hand?"

Herrmann looked to his watch then to the firefighters, aggravated. "Yes, now leave before she gets here."

Cruz held up his hands, "Okay, we'll be waiting to hear your screams." The two disappeared back into the firehouse before going to the window to watch. Cruz tapped Otis' arm, "Go get everyone."

After a small announcement, everyone gathered by the window to watch, even Chief Boden. But the chief was there because if something happened, he wanted to be able to get to Herrmann quickly.

Herrmann smiled as the dog came into view, she stopped and looked at the firefighter. Herrmann grabbed a piece of bacon and tossed it in front of him.

The dog trotting over, but gradually slowing as she got closer. She scooped up the bacon and ate it before looking at Herrmann expectantly, he smiled and tossed another piece that landed closer to him.