Chapter 36

Four months have passed since the accident and there still hasn't been any improvement. Michelle never left Nathan's side, she stayed beside him 24 hours every day. Rebecca also visited every day, she was touched to see how much Michelle cared about Nathan. She hadn't left him for one second, Rebecca thought she was the only one who could care for her sons that way but seeing this now, she was wrong. Michelle did care, more than she had imagined. She wasn't a bad girl after all. Rebecca had tried on several occasions to convince Michelle to go home and rest but she never did. Michelle only went home for a change of clothes and that was when she was certain that Rebecca was beside Nathan.

Mr Howard and Derek had been quite busy for the past months but they always created time to visit Nathan at the hospital. They were all gloomy, hoping and praying that one day Nathan would wake up.

After Rebecca left the hospital in a hurry on the day of the accident, they had no idea what she did or said to Chloe but Chloe immediately travelled out of  Washington and hasn't returned since then.

Mr Howard came to the hospital to be with Nathan, Michelle used that opportunity to go home and freshen up. She decided to bring Sandra along with her that day so that her mom could have some time to herself. Leah has been the one taking care of Sandra for the past four months and Michelle was beyond grateful that her mom was there to help her because she doesn't know how she would've managed to stay beside Nathan and at the same time take care of Sandra if her mom wasn't there for her. She returned to the hospital with her baby and noticed that Mr Howard had already left. She sat on the chair beside Nathan's bed and stared at his lifeless body. She began to cry silently.

"Nathan, please wake up." she started to say.

"If you won't do it for me, think about our daughter. She needs you... Nathan, you need to be there to watch her take her first step, to watch her say her first word... I need you, Nathan. I'm sorry we didn't reconcile soon enough to prevent all of this from happening... I love you and I don't want to lose you... You're a strong man, Nathan, please wake up."

Michelle placed her hand on his and gently caressed it. She couldn't stop herself from crying every time she saw Nathan. He was too good to be in this condition, he doesn't deserve to be here. The hospital wasn't for people like him.

Leah came to visit Nathan and also to be with her daughter for a while. She wasn't comfortable staying at home alone while her daughter and granddaughter were in the hospital, so she decided to join them in the hospital. She stayed for a few hours.

Leah kept wondering how Nathan got into such a fatal accident. He looked so lifeless and she felt sorry for him and his family. She knew how they were feeling at this point. She had felt that way during her husband's illness until the time he passed away, she felt even worse when he died. She still couldn't believe that she survived that phase. She thought she would've died too, but she managed to live for her daughter because Michelle also needed her, losing both parents would've had a terrible effect on her.

       ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It's been eight weeks now and nothing has changed. Michelle had gone home to freshen up one morning, she decided to spend some time with Sandra. She was with her baby and mother in the living room when her phone rang, it was Derek. He asked her to come down to the hospital, that it was important. She gave Leah her baby and hurriedly left the house. She arrived at the hospital and was told that they were all waiting for her in the doctor's office. She suddenly became nervous, she wondered what had happened.

Why was she suddenly needed in the doctor's office? She hoped it was for a good reason.

She got to the doctor's office and saw Mr Howard, Rebecca, and Derek in the office with the doctor. She became scared, there was something odd about the present atmosphere.

"Did something happen?" She quietly asked.

"Please take a seat, Miss Stewart,"  the doctor said.

Michelle slowly took a seat, not taking her eyes away from the doctor.

The doctor looked at Mr Howard who nodded his head like was approving something. He sighed and began,

"Miss Stewart, from the recent test we ran on Mr Alexander, we found out that his brain stem is completely damaged... This means that presently his brain is dead... So, we have decided to take him off life support."

Michelle couldn't believe it, she wasn't complaining. She was willing to wait for Nathan for as long as she could, she didn't care how much was required to achieve that.

"No, please. We can wait a little longer... Just a little longer." she pleaded.

"Miss Stewart, the life support machine is needed for other patients because we have it in limited numbers,"

Michelle was in tears, she couldn't accept what the doctor said. Nathan was strong, he would make it.

"No, please, just a bit longer," Michelle repeated.

She felt someone's hand on her shoulder. She turned to see that it was Rebecca. She was also crying.

"Michelle, this was a tough decision we had to make. I know my baby... If he wanted to wake up, he would've done so a long time ago," She was also sobbing as those words came out of her lips.

"My baby is gone, Michelle... He is gone." she sobbed, completely breaking down.

Derek walked towards his mother to hold her as she was shaking uncontrollably. Michelle's tears were pouring down her cheeks while she remained numb. Seeing Rebecca like this made her realize how dear Nathan was to everyone. Mr Howard buried his face in his hands while Derek held his mom who was crying into his chest. Michelle noticed a tear roll down his eyes.

Derek was trying to be strong for his family but this was his brother they were talking about, he couldn't pretend anymore. He let his emotions come out.

The doctor led them to Nathan's room with some other doctors and two nurses. They pulled out the life support and waited to see if something would happen. They waited for six whole hours and Nathan's brain didn't wake up.

Michelle couldn't believe it, her fiancé was gone. She slowly walked towards his body and placed her head on his chest silently crying. Rebecca was crying hysterically. This was a big blow to the whole family. Michelle didn't want to let go of his body as the nurses tried to remove her from his body. Mr Howard walked out of the room because he couldn't watch the scene anymore. Derek managed to take Michelle off Nathan's body so that the nurses would take his body to the morgue.

"Forgive me, Nathan. Forgive me." She repeatedly said as she cried into Derek's chest. She didn't want to watch as the nurses took Nathan's body away.

Michelle wasn't in the right state of mind to drive herself home so Derek drove her to her house. She was quiet the whole time. He made sure she was in her bedroom before he said goodbye. Leah was shocked to hear that Nathan was dead. Derek had narrated to her what happened before he left. She gave him her condolences and asked him to send her sympathy to his parents.

Nathan is dead😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭
I cried while writing this chapter

Guys, this story is slowly coming to an end. I can't believe it.

Tell me your thoughts on this chapter and the story so far. Please don't forget to vote. Thanks