Prologue

Acknowledgements - Thanks to 2writerslivehere (Fanfiction.net) without whom this would be a long pile of meaningless blather with too many commas and bad punctuation!

Many thanks to my friend who told me to stop reading fanfiction and write it.....

This is my first fanfiction so please comment about what you think.

All rights reserved to Dreamworks. I do not own How To train your dragon. Be warned it is a little slow at the start so don't be put off. Please comment on what you think 

Hiccup's POV

"You've done it, Hiccup, you get to kill the dragon!" Gobber's enthusiastic bellow blocks out the mix of cheers and boos emanating from the crowd. Astrid thrusts her axe - the axe I polish and sharpen weekly - into my face and I gulp as the razor sharp blade splits the air in front of me.

"You mangy, useless cheat!" she screams at me, "You stu....." She is cut off as the twins, Snotlout and Fishlegs swarm me yelling congratulations.

"Yay," I say without conviction, "I am so...."

"Leaving. We're leaving bud!" I yell as I wander into the cove, a basket holding my meagre amount of possessions. Looking around I see no sign of my bud until Toothless pops up from behind a rock, a gummy smile on his face. He whines and sniffs the bag.

"No, the fish is for later," I say, catching up on what he wants. Toothless growls in annoyance but makes no complaint as I climb, still shivering from the encounter with Astrid as I went into the woods. I load my basket onto his back and sigh., "Give it all you got bud."

As we are about to take off, a piece of wire catches my hand and I hiss in pain as crimson blood drops onto the ground.

"Ah well," I mutter as we ready for the flight, "It's not as if that's going to cause any problems," and as Toothless pushes for the sky  I look down at my old home, the place where I was bullied, pushed around and ignored.

"Goodbye Berk!" I call out loudly. 'Goodbye nightmare' I whisper in my head, and with that we fly towards the setting sun - never to return again.