Destruction

Hiccup's POV

I stand, surrounded by chaos - Dagur managed to trick Eret and Throck into lighting our supply of Nightmare gel as a revenge for a nasty experience including a Quaken's nesting site, several chickens and Dagur's trousers, so now there are two huts blown up, 23 dragons injured and Eret is trying to extinguish a fire that has somehow sprung up in his clothes chest. Fenris, a former Berserker, is trying to avoid a flock of angry Night Terrors and Throk is desperately trying to hide.

Once the Edge is sorted out there is still the problem that we have no Nightmare gel - meaning we have to make the long journey to Vali island to get more. Out of the corner of my eye I could see Mala yelling at Dagur, while Dawnbringer watched, an almost amused expression on her face. Internally I sigh, knowing that everyone else would be needed here but not wishing to make the journey alone. Toothless nudges my hand, picking up on what I'm thinking.

I smile. "I always have you bud, right?" He gives me his infamous gummy smile and I laugh, the stress of running a base relaxing.

"Heather!" I yell. The raven-haired Rider walks up.

"Yes, Hiccup?" she asks.

"I'll be going to Vali island for a few days and, as the most experienced rider, I am leaving you in charge of the Edge. Get everything up and running, calm the dragons down and whatever you don't let Eret and Throck near Dagur. I will be back in two or so days."

And with that final comment, me and Toothless take off, heading into the sunset.

Astrid's POV

"We have a problem," Stoick announces as soon as we are all in Meade Hall. Fishlegs sidles up to me.

"Tell me something I don't know," he whispers. I crack up. What with Gothi's lack of supplies, the wild boar breeding season and the complete disappearance of the Berserker tribe, Berk has a lot on its plate to deal with.

"Recently we received news from the Bog-Burglar Tribe reporting they were attacked and their village destroyed by a man calling himself 'Drago Bludvist' and the 'Dragon Army' he has built up." Instantly we fall silent - the Bog-Burglars are one of the most feared tribes in the entire Archipelago and if their village has been destroyed by one man then we have a massive issue.

"Now I have met Drago in the past, and if he has built a Dragon Army then gods help us all!" Stoick yells over the din of people shouting.

"So what are we going to do?" yells Bjorn the Brute, "If he's wiped out the Bog-Burglars, then what's he going to do to us?"

Everyone falls silent. When Bjorn makes a smart comment it means there really is a problem "I have made an executive decision," Stoick says, "We will forge an alliance with the Outcasts." A loud yell of protest erupts at this.

"We can't trust them!"

"They're our enemies!"

"Outcasts have always raided us!"

"This is stupid!"

"Quiet down!" Stoick bellows, "Astrid, as our best warrior you will lead the mission. Fishlegs, you are Berk's only negotiator. Snotlout - seeing as you are Berk's heir, you will go too and Ruffnut and Tuffnut, well, I just want you two gone." The twins snigger and headbutt at this. "Gobber, you will be going as well. You know what Alvin is like so you're vital if they try to attack."

"I'll pack me undies," he announces and hobbles off as everyone pulls a face and Tuffnut pretends to retch.

"We'll leave immediately," I say and salute. As I run towards the ships I can't help but feel a lingering sense of dread.