Chapter 2 - Affinity

Cold winter breeze flows through the window making the father-son duo snuggle further into their blankets. A helper enters with some hot beverage for the pair as they settle themselves for the trip ahead to the younger one's memories. Babhruvahana momentarily stares at the garden below from his window. A butterfly flutters around trying to find shelter in the chilling weather. His trained warrior eyes observe the colorful patterns on its wings and a fond smile grows on his face remembering one similar butterfly that introduced him to a major part of his life. Snapping his eyes back on his father, he elects on sharing that memory.

The beautiful gardens of Manipur are filled with gleeful giggles of an infant, as he runs around going to every flowering plant and monitoring the growth of the buds

The beautiful gardens of Manipur are filled with gleeful giggles of an infant, as he runs around going to every flowering plant and monitoring the growth of the buds. A part of his love for nature is inherited from his mother while the other manifested itself in him through the abundance of greenery in the kingdom. The five year old just finished sitting through a long court session with his grandfather and made a run for the lawn as soon as the closing statements are uttered. Although he loved attending the court with his grandpa and pestering him with seemingly ceaseless questions about the judgements passed, this particular session was extremely long and tiring for the poor kid.

A colorful butterfly flies past his eyes catching the attention of little Babhruvahana. He had never seen a butterfly so close and is enchanted by the patterns on its wings. In a daze, he follows the butterfly twisting and turning at every corner it goes to. Unaware of the path he followed, he stops short when the insect ventures high up into the sky and out of the palace. With a dejected pout, he turns around and pales on realizing where he is. Rooted at his place, he finally registers the clashes of weapons before him as he grasps that he entered the training arena - a place that his mother forbid him to enter till he is a bit older.

A distinct whoosh makes him turn his head towards the archery section. A masked person directs a bow towards the target and an arrow appear out of thin air leaving the little prince gaping. The archer gracefully releases the arrow and Babhruvahana's eyes follow it as it pierces the bulls eye perfectly. Startled, he looks up as he hears someone clear their throat, only to find the archer in front of him. His admiration turns to fear as the person removes the mask revealing herself to be the princess of Manipur, Chitrangada. "I thought I asked you not to enter this wing" she says sternly.