Chapter 8 - Agony of a Mother

Picture above: Draupadi

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Only in the agony of parting do we look into the depths of love

            -George Elliot

A fond smile grows on his face as he senses the happiness in the air. Faint excited murmurs reach his ears as the palace workers rush to their kith and kin eager to spread the news they heard. The king of Manipur aimlessly strolls across the hallways soaking in the glee in the atmosphere. The corner of his eyes catch a giggling pair of workers speaking in hushed tones. A chuckle forces it's way out of his mouth as his sharp ears capture the names of a certain prince and princess. His lips curve into an amused smile as he reminisces the events occurred the day before.

"Who said anything about a wedding? Also, do you mean Maharaj Yudhishtir sent you to talk about wedding proposals? Are you lying? He would never do that

"Who said anything about a wedding? Also, do you mean Maharaj Yudhishtir sent you to talk about wedding proposals? Are you lying? He would never do that. That is not the way things are done. Anyway, now that you mentioned a wedding, Suthanu, I told the king of Mathura that I will consider his proposal of marrying his daughter to Bhanu. What are your thoughts on it?"

Silence presides over the garden as shock sinks in the two youngsters. Gaping at the divine lord, both the cousins attempt to utter something but in vain. Babhruvahana's brain ignores the first part of the lord's words and focuses on the latter, replaying only one coherent thought in his mind. Princess of Mathura? Her proposal to prince Bhanu? Where did this come from?

His eyes find his sister's glassy ones and he shuffles to her side squeezing her hand in re-assurance. Gaining comfort from her brother, Suthanu takes a deep breath and clears her throat.

"Uncle Krishna, if princess of Mathura was your choice for prince Bhanu, you would not have approached me."her tone takes on an angry edge as she continues, "No. I was your first choice because you know I like prince Bhanu. Now you are saying another princess might come in because she is nice and not because she loves him."

Babhru's eyes widen at her words and he snaps his head in her direction waiting for her to realize what she just uttered. Soon, the said realization dawns on the daughter of Dharmaraj and she gasps in shock and embarrassment. Krishna observes the kids and turns away from them to hide his smirk and amusement.

Gasping dramatically, he says, "What are you saying Thanu? Hey Narayan! I promised the king that I will consider the alliance. What do I do now? I cannot ask you to be his second wife..... Can I?" He asks the last question turning his head towards Thanu with a mischievous glint in his eyes.

Huffing indignantly, the princess replies, "Stop joking uncle. You wouldn't have given me the offer if you had already agreed to the other alliance. Besides, you just promised consideration. Not the alliance."

Krishna turns around to face them with a bright and proud smile. "So you are learning from your father-in-law already. Good going Thanu. I am extremely proud of you and as a prize for your wit, I give you my son Bhanu."