Chapter 3 - Siblingship

"I see Parikshit caught hold of your hair"

Babhruvahana blushes at his father's words and hastily attempts to smooth his hair. Laughter erupts in the common hall at the young king's actions. However it dies down immediately as someone clears their throat. It is then that the newly joined people notice the royal priest standing aside uncomfortably. "Perhaps we should move this conversation to another location." suggests the king of Hastianpur.

Shifting to the king's study, everyone settle themselves as Babhruvahana's keen eyes scour the room stopping ever so often on his favorite books. His legs find their way to his mother automatically as he adjusts himself beside her. Chuckling at him, Subhadra asks, "Son, Won't you join your uncles and father?" Frowning at the question, he says, "I am used to sitting beside mother during every important discussion in my study. I don't see why I cannot do the same now."

Smiling fondly at his expression, Subhadra cups his cheek and says, "I am not saying you cannot sit here. You are always welcome to sit with us. This is your first time in such discussions here so I suggested you join the princes." Their conversation is cut short with the eldest Pandav calling for their attention. "My dear family members, by god's grace, we are able to successfully accomplish the Ashwamedha Yagna. Our horse has returned to us and it is time for the following rituals." The king then indicates the priest to continue. "Greeting royal family. We can start with the rituals tomorrow. These rituals go for about a month and require the participation of the king and his wives mainly."

After deciding on the auspicious moments for all the necessary ceremonies, the priest leaves the royal family to themselves. Being a staunch lover for nature and animals, Babhruvahana fails to bring himself to wholeheartedly accept the sacrifice. However, he chooses to not go against his uncle at the moment. The serious silence is broken by a helper notifying Uttara that Parikshit is wailing. As the worried mother rushes to her chamber along her equally worried mother in law, the remaining occupants of the room start excusing themselves to get back to their work.

Observing his earlier interests in the books lined up in the study, Yudhishtir informs his nephew that he is free to take any book from the study. Thanking him, the young king heads out to explore the palace in an attempt to clear his mind. "Where are you going?" a voice chirps beside him. Surprised to see his sister Suthanu, he greets her and answers, "I am going to explore the palace dear sister." "Would you mind if I join?" asks the princess. "I'd be delighted" answers her brother with a smile.

"I haven't been here for long but I spent most of my time exploring these halls

"I haven't been here for long but I spent most of my time exploring these halls. I can say I am close to knowing every hook and corner of this palace." Suthanu voice breaks the comfortable silence between the cousins. "Is it so? I should come to you if I wish to escape to a quieter place then" hints the grandson of Kunti. "Yes. You should. Now, are you going to tell me what bothers you or should I go back to assuming the reason?" Suthanu laughs at her brother's shocked expression and teases him, "Did you think I did not notice your unease in the study? I am the fireborn's daughter. I have sharp eyes too dear brother."