Chapter 4

Itachi threw another kunai, not even taking note of its trajectory and its landing as it didn't  hit the bullseye.

"You're uncharacteristically off your game today, Itachi-kun"

"Sasuke-kun tried to kill  himself, Shisui. And Naruto... I just... " He tilted his head slightly, acknowledging Shisui as he approached the clearing. 

"What?!  Is he okay?! What happened?!!"  Shisui asked, a hint of urgency in his voice.   

"He screamed, as though someone was trying to gouge his eyes out. I ran to his room to see his face covered in  blood, as though he was trying to activate the sharingan. He gave one look at us, and his eyes, Shisui. He looked like he was seeing someone else, I don't know how  to describe it. And then he lit the room out with a katon, even though I'm sure he's never been taught an elemental jutsu. And ... and when we were in the hospital, he had the ... Mangekyo. And I don't know how, but he just erupted in black flames, like hell.  
  That Uzumaki boy approached us then. And Sasuke just slammed open the hospital door, and their eyes just connected. They had a silent conversation, like they'd known each other for years. Apparently Sasuke thought he was in a genjutsu, but the Uzumaki boy convinced him otherwise. Shisui ... Shisui, help me! I don't know what to do ... "

For Itachi to show this much vulnerability, Shisui felt  dread aching his bones. Itachi, the cold and analytic personality, having a panic attack about his brother. And Sasuke with ... Mangekyo? He's six! What emotional trauma did he go through!?

"I just wish I was there for Sasuke, Shisui. I've already checked and there was nothing. I was with Sasuke all day this week, and he was perfectly fine! I just ... don't know what I missed ..." Itachi's voice murmured to a whisper, but every single word was laced in pain.

Shisui wasn't sure what to say. He frowned, leaving the silence hanging in the air for both  of them to collect their thoughts. Itachi needed space and some time to vent. So, he pulling out his own kunai, Shisui threw his to land it right beside Itachi's.

"Otou-sama, Kaa-san, may I ... please go outside to train?"

Sasuke felt his eyes wander to the floor as he asked his question. He honestly desperately just wanted to meet Naruto and Sakura, and get away from the hell he called home. He pretended that he was the five year old Uchiha Sasuke, the act surprisingly easy despite the fact that every time his eyes fell on his ... family, he just wanted to start screaming and screaming and just not stop. God, the word family.  It just felt so foreign. 

When was the last time he saw his parents drowning in their own blood, Itachi standing over them , katana in his hand? 

When was the last time he saw Itachi, before he said ... goodbye and poked his forehead, like everything was fine when it wasn't?

When was. the. fucking. last. time. since he saw the life of Sakura draining away? Kakashi as he heard the endless screams? And Naruto. Since he took the blow that was meant for him? That goofy grin in his last moments? FUCKING WHEN?!

His knuckles turned white as he clenched his pants. Itachi stopped watching him intently, but he still felt the gaze on his back whenever he went. Mother and Father were no better, but not as weary. 

"Sasuke. Take Itachi with you." The gruff voice of Fugaku cut him out of his thoughts. 

"Hai Otou-sama." 

Mikoto glanced worriedly at her youngest child. Ever since that night, she felt like a shadow was following Sasuke's eyes. The only time she felt it lift was when Kushina's child came. But it was there as soon as it was gone. Her heart clenched, listening to the voice of her youngest. Sasuke...

Uzumaki Naruto started in hell and slowly slid downhill from there. 

He was utterly alone, not even able to contact grumpy Kurama as his seal was now wound so tight that hardly any chakra leaked through at all and it reminded him that the seal had only been cracked at that Wave mission. 

Silently, he commended his dad on his ability to think that far ahead, meaning that he wouldn't fall into the Kyuubi's chakra rage filled state while throwing a tantrum when he was a mere child and that the chakra would only aid him in such a fashion when his life was in danger enough to warrant cracking the seal in the first place. 

Still, that left him alone, weak, and vulnerable without Kurama to talk to. Amidst the battle of the Fourth Great Ninja War, Kurama and Naruto became partners, offending each other with insults but not denying the fondness they had for each other. When he was on the brink of them, he unlocked the whole seal, allowing Kurama to gain the freedom he wanted. Before he died, he saw Kurama in his mindscape, and he wasn't sure if he imagined it, but silent tears were appearing in his partners eyes.

 When he woke up, he instantly felt for Sasuke's chakra signature, erratic and he shot up. He knew it wasn't a genjutsu, with the chakra in the pendant it should dispel it, even if it was a tsukiyomi. The reason was it lingered of Kurama's chakra, instantly knowing. He raced towards him, meeting Itachi Uchiha. His heart clenched at seeing him, the hero no one knew about. When he saw Sasuke, tears were forming but with a few punches, he realised his best friend, rival and brother  was back. 

But when he went outside again, the crushing weight of feeling alone was once again felt. 

How had he handled this terrible, crushing loneliness the first time?

Oh right, he'd hardly known what it meant to have a precious person in the first place. He'd only be trying to gain one.

Finally, finally, did he understand what it meant having someone so precious and lose it, as opposed to never having known what it was like to have that precious something in the first place.

Finally, he understood Sasuke's pain.

Soon, very soon, he knew that he was going to break down, but at least he had his sister and brother with him to help him this time. 

Sorry about the short chapter.