4. Cedric's Surprise Party

Cedric and I both had fifth period free, so we were hanging out in his room. He was sprawled across his bed and throwing a ball up in the air and catching it. I took the couch and laid with my head hanging off the arm rest. Today had been exhausting.

Except, it really hadn't. I just couldn't stop thinking about what Ron said, and it was wearing me out. I had hoped being with Cedric would take my mind off things, but it did the opposite. I desperately wanted to just ask if he and Hermione were dating.

But I knew I couldn't. If he wanted to tell me, he would.

I decided to bring up another topic to distract myself further.

"So, wanna study together tonight? I'll bring the snacks if you bring-"

"Actually," he began, sitting up. He didn't meet my eyes. "I have plans tonight."

A lump caught in my throat. If my suspicions were correct, I knew exactly who these plans were with.

I tried to hide my disappointment. "Oh," I replied, shrugging. "Cool."

"Yeah," he said, still not meeting my gaze. He was distracted.

"With who?" I blurted out. I didn't mean to come across so strongly, but I couldn't help myself. I had to know.

His eyes finally met mine. "Hermione."

"Cool!" I responded way too eagerly. "Should be fun!" The fake enthusiasm on my face pained me.

He didn't say anything. He just looked down at the ball in his hands and fidgeted with it.

An awkward silence fell over the both of us, something that doesn't happen often. The air was weird and full of tension, and I hated myself for being pushy.

My mind raced thinking of other things to talk about.

"Oh! Tomorrow! Are you excited?" I exclaimed, referring to his birthday. He seemed to perk up now.

"I can't wait," he grinned. "It's going to be the best birthday ever."

"It always is," I replied smiling.

"What time should I plan on coming back to my room?" he asked, making a face.

"About 5:30," I replied.

He grinned back. "Alright. I will return to my room at exactly 5:30 pm on my birthday with plans to just sit in my room alone and sulk," he said sarcastically.

I laughed. "And I will be doing absolutely anything other than setting up your party at 5:30 pm on your birthday."

Cedric's party was going to be the perfect distraction from everything Ron had said today. He doesn't know what he's talking about. I just need to push him out of my head.

*

The next day, I frantically ran around Cedric's room, making sure everything looked good before the big surprise.

The room looked great this year. I had decided to go with the yellow and black theme I do every year, for Hufflepuff, but I brought in gold balloons that shot out confetti when you popped them. He was going to love those.

I checked my watch. 5:27 pm. Cedric should be coming back any minute now.

I could hardly contain my excitement as the clock continued to tick down, the minute hand getting closer and closer to the 6. My heart was racing in anticipation.

I squatted behind the couch and waited to hear the sound of footsteps approaching followed by the doorknob turning.

The minute hand reached the 6. It was time. I took a deep breath and waited for his arrival.

But, there was nothing. No footsteps, no doorknob, no fake surprised Cedric. Just me hiding in a dark and lovely decorated room alone.

I checked my watch again. Maybe he was just running late or something. He's never been one for being on time.

I tried to remain positive and stayed behind the couch, but as each minute passed, I grew more and more doubtful that he'd ever walk through the door.

It was 6 o'clock now, and there was still no sign of Cedric. I gave up on the whole surprise thing and just sat down on the couch normally.

There was definitely a good reason for why he missed his own surprise party. He probably got held up with a teacher or stuck doing an extra long assignment. He wouldn't blow me off on purpose.

Time continued to pass as I waited and waited for Cedric's return. I was beginning to think he wasn't coming back to his room at all when the door knob finally started to turn. I jumped behind the couch quickly to try and still surprise him.

The door creaked open slowly and I heard hushed voices whispering and giggling. When the door finally shut, I sprung up and waved my arms around. "Surprise!"

I couldn't tell who was more surprised: Cedric seeing me jump out behind his couch in a room he thought was empty, or me seeing Cedric making out with Hermione against his door.

There was a moment of silence while we all looked at each other, slowly putting the pieces together of what had just happened.

I didn't know what to say. What are you supposed to say when you accidentally surprise your best friend for their birthday while he's in the middle making out with a girl?

"Oh my god, y/n, I totally forgot," Cedric said finally, dropping his hands from Hermione's face.

The embarrassment and heartbreak I felt all in that moment was too much to bear. I wanted to lash out and yell at Cedric. Tell him how annoyed and upset I was with him right now.

But I couldn't. I know I couldn't. Conflict has never been my strong suit.

"No, it's fine! I'll let you two get back to what you were doing," I said awkwardly, quickly gathering my things to leave. I could not be here any longer.

"Y/n, wait!" Cedric called, but I was already out the door. Tears flooded my eyes as I walked faster than I ever had before.

Suddenly, before I was aware of what I was doing, I found myself standing outside of Ron and Harry's room. I pounded on the door and wiped my eyes.

It was Ron who answered. He looked confused to see me with tear stained cheeks when I had so obviously just been crying. "Y/n? Are you alright?"

"I'm fine," I said. "I just want in."

He was taken back by my forwardness and abruptness. It was uncommon of Hufflepuffs to be aggressive in getting what they want.

"You want in? Why? What changed?"

"Never mind that," I huffed, storming past him and into the room. "I just want in. I want to break them up."

Ron closed the door behind him and awkwardly put his hands in his pockets. "Okay," he said skeptically, observing my clearly fragile state. "So they're officially dating?"

I rolled my eyes and sat down on his bed. "Yup. If they weren't I don't think they'd be all over each other in Cedric's room right now."

Ron made a face at the word and shuddered. "Gross."

"So what's the plan?" I asked.

Ron looked up at me, a mischievous glint in his eyes that I hadn't seen before. He smirked and said, "Oh here's the plan."