4. The Accident

"What do you mean me?" I exclaimed, standing up.

"I don't know! He was talking to Blaise and Goyle about it!" Cedric replied in the same exasperated tone.

I just shook my head. "Honestly, Ced. I don't really think he's going to do anything. Why would anyone have reason to hurt me?"

Cedric sighed loudly. "I don't know. I'm just worried, that's all."

"I think it's going to be fine," I reassured him. "But, just incase, I'll try to stay away from him from now on."

"Thanks," Cedric said while standing up.

I glanced over at the clock on the wall. "We better get to third period. Come on," I said, walking over to the door. Cedric followed me out, and we made our way back to the classrooms.

The day went by rather quickly, but I couldn't get what Cedric told me out of my head. I reminded myself that Draco was always making empty threats, but for some reason, that wasn't enough reassurance to forget about the whole thing.

Finally, the day ended, and it was time for the game. I hoped it would be a good distraction from this mess.

I went down to find Ron before he went out on the field. I spotted him over by the entrance, and ran over to wish him good luck one last time.

"You're gonna do great," I said, standing up on my toes to kiss him on the cheek. "I know you will."

He smiled down at me with the same nervous look he had a couple days ago. "Thanks," he mumbled.

"Come on! You were so great last game. I promise, you're gonna be amazing," I said, trying to give him a last minute pep talk.

Without responding, Ron's glance fell on the field behind us. He gave me a weak smile before stepping around me to walk on to the green.

I found my way up to the Hufflepuff stands again, looking around for Cedric.

The referee blew the whistle, signaling the start of the game. Ron seemed ready as ever up on his broom in front of the goal, holding on to it with a firm grip and a fierce look in his eyes. He looked like he was ready to win.

"Excited for the game?" Cedric asked as I took the spot on the bench next to him.

I gave him a small smile, appreciative of him avoiding the earlier subject. "Yeah. Ron's gonna be great."

Slytherin got the quaffle, hitting it back and forth between a couple of its players. Oliver stole it away quickly, making his way through the other players swiftly and over to the Slytherin goal. Just as he was about to shoot it right through the ring, a cry rang out from the other side of the field.

Everyone's heads turned to see Ron plummeting to the ground, his arms and legs flailing about in every direction. The fall was far from graceful.

The crowd collectively gasped in horror as he hit the grass, hard. I jumped up immediately and fled the stands, Cedric following close behind me.

I ran on to the field to find a group of players huddled around Ron who lay on the ground, unconscious. He had a huge gash on his head and his leg was mangled. It was hard for me to look directly at.

"Oh my Godrick," I said, kneeling down next to him on the ground. "Someone get Madame Pomfrey!" I shouted as some players turned away to fetch her.

I turned back to look at Ron, who's breaths were getting uneven. I bit my lip nervously.

"I'm here! I'm here!" I heard Madame Pomfrey declare as she made her way over to the huddled students. "Oh dear," she remarked to herself as she knelt down next to me. "Let's take him back to the hospital wing, okay?" she said, waving over Professor Moody. Moody stomped over and leaned down to scoop up Ron's limp body in his arms.