8. The Janitor's Closet

"How exactly is it crucial?" I asked, following Ron, who was still bragging about the contest.

He looked hesitant. "Well, I'm not sure yet. But I know we'll be needing it. At some point."

I rolled my eyes just as he suddenly stopped in the hallway and faced me. Confused, I stopped too, and students pushed past us.

"Uh, Ron?" I asked. "What are we doing?"

Without saying a word, he grabbed my hand and dragged me back to a stray closet on the side of the hall. He shut the door behind us as students whispered and gave us concerned glances.

"What's going on-" I began to ask, but was silenced by Ron placing his finger on my lips.

"Gotta give the people a little more," he smirked, leaning against the door and sliding down it to sit on the ground.

"What?" I exclaimed, clearly confused about the situation he was putting me in.

"We just hide in here for a few minutes. Wait until class starts. Then we'll both get to class late," he remarked simply.

"We have Defense Against the Dark Arts!" I yelled, now unhappy that I was going to get in trouble for Ron's little stunt. "With Snape!" I added.

He raised his eyebrows. "I know. Then people will know we're serious."

I looked down at the door handle which I could so easily turn and get to class on time. Then, I looked down at Ron, who gave me a pleading pouty face. "Please?" he asked.

Ugh. This fake relationship was a hell of a lot more work than I thought it would be. I too sat on the floor next to Ron in the dark room and folded my hands around my knees.

"So how long do we sit here?" I asked after a few moments of silence.

"I dunno, little longer I guess." He eyed me suspiciously. "We can't be too on time. Then people will judge me."

I laughed at Ron's worry and he let out a laugh as well.

"You know this is insane right? All of it," I remarked, glancing around the unfamiliar space we were in. There was nothing in there besides us and some random cleaning supplies.

"Yeah, I know," Ron sighed. "But it's worth it. It is."

I couldn't help but smile at Ron. He must've really liked Hermione to go through all this trouble just to get her to like him. In a very messed up way, it was sweet.

It was the same case for me too, though. I was going through the same exact thing to try and get Cedric to like me.

"What if, after all this, they finally break up, and they don't like us?" I wondered aloud. Ron looked up at me and made a concerned face.

"Nonsense. They will like us. They do like us. They just haven't realized it yet," he said confidently.

"Yeah, I know, but-"

"No buts, y/n," he cut in. "The plan is foolproof. It's going to work."

I gave up fighting Ron, but the thought still tugged at the back of my mind.

"Why do you like Cedric?" Ron suddenly blurted out. I raised an eyebrow at him and tried to think of the right words.

"Well, he's funny, and nice to me, and he respects everyone," I began. "And he's really hot."

Ron made his signature disgusted face and said, "I'm funny and nice and hot. Why don't you like me?"

I snorted at his confidence and he laughed too.

"I'm only joking," he said, shaking his head.

"Why do you like Hermione?"

He looked down and began fidgeting with his hands. "Because... she's smart, and pretty, and I just feel like she understands me when other people don't."

I smiled at this new side of Ron I hadn't seen before. Talking about Hermione had clearly made him flustered. It was sweet.

"That's so cute," I cooed.

He stuck out his tongue now and pointed to his mouth, pretending to gag.

"Ew. Do not say that's cute. Gross."

I laughed again. Ron was definitely growing on me. We've spent more time together in the last twenty four hours than we have during all six years at Hogwarts. And he was funny, and nice, and respectful as well.

Not that I like him or anything. I most definitely do not. I'm just pointing out that he and Cedric share some positive qualities.

I sighed. "Should we get to class now?"

"Yeah," he said standing up. He reached his hand out to help me stand up. I took his hand in mine as he pulled me off the ground. He had a really tight grip.

He examined my face. "Wait," he said, reaching his hands up next to my face. He put his fingers in my hair and shook them all around, making my hair all knotty and messy. "There ya go," he said while laughing.

"Well, now you need some too!" I exclaimed, reaching my own hands into his ginger locks to ruffle them. "There. Now we match," I said, stepping back to admire my work.

"Oh, what about this?" he asked, reaching out to my chest and unbuttoning the top of my white button up shirt. "It's the little things," he said while I stared at him accusingly.

"Weasley I swear to Merlin," I said, reaching my hands out to grab his own shirt.

"Hey!" he laughed, dodging me any way he could in the small space we were in. I chased him around, trying to unbutton his shirt as a way to match my own.

I gave up and leaned over, putting my hands on my thighs to catch my breath.

"Well now we definitely look the part," Ron huffed, the both of us breathing heavily.

I shook my head and smiled at his comment. "Come on, let's go," I said, opening the door. "M'lady," I joked, holding the door open for him as he waltzed out.

"Why thank you kind sir," he replied, playing along.

Despite everything else, hanging out with Ron was fun. This fake relationship was no longer something I dreaded to do.