9. Lies

"You sure you're feeling up for this?" I asked Ron, who struggled to button up his shirt while using the crutches for support. "We can always just stay here." To be honest, my intentions of staying home were more selfish than I'd let on. I'm dreading the party and seeing one person in particular.

"I'm fine," Ron insisted, finally closing up the top button. "See?" he said, holding his hands out to show off his ability to button up his own shirt.

"Impressive," I replied flatly, running a brush through my hair one last time as I faced the mirror above Ron's dresser.

He crutched over to stand behind me and look back at our reflection. "You look beautiful," he hummed in my ear, and I smiled at the compliment.

"Thanks," I responded, gazing down at his outfit. He decided to dress a bit nicer this time, with a button up shirt and a pair of jeans. "You look cute too."

He furrowed his eyebrows defensively. "You know I hate when you say that," he responded, shoving me away from him playfully.

"Hey!" I exclaimed, stepping out of the fall. "What other adjectives do you suggest I use?"

"I don't know," he sighed. "Handsome? Attractive? Incredibly hunky?" he listed. "Anything but cute."

"Ah, yes. My incredibly hunky boyfriend," I teased, lightheartedly, laughing at how ridiculous it sounded.

"You know it," he grinned in response.

I glanced over at the clock on the dresser which flashed the time 7:20 pm. "We better get going," I offered, walking over to the door to open for Ron, who took his time crutching over to where I stood.

"Ah, so chivalry isn't dead," he joked as he slowly made his way into the hallway.

The two of us walked together over to the Slytherin common room. We approached the doorway eventually, Ron breathing heavily as we stood outside.

"That exhausting?" I asked, raising an eyebrow as I observed Ron's worn out state.

"Just... knock..." he replied in between deep breaths.

I laughed and lifted my hand to knock on the large stone door, the sound of muffled music playing as we waited for a response.

The door slid to the side slowly, the music no longer muffled and now blasting throughout the hallways. My stomach flipped as none other than Draco poked his head out to see the two of us.

"Ugh, you two," he said immediately, rolling his eyes in disgust. He stared at me for longer than I would've liked.

I gave him a convincing smile. "Hi Draco," I greeted politely, trying to be as nice as possible while Ron was present. "Can we come in?"

"I guess," he snorted, clearly a bit tipsy. I noticed the can in his hand was almost empty.

I entered through the door as Ron crutched behind me, gazing around the room once more and taking the scene in.

"So, you came together," Draco stated, his speech definitely slurred. I bit my lip as he studied me and Ron together, nervous for what he could possibly reveal while not sober.

"Well, we are dating," Ron shot, already fed up with Draco's antics.

"I'm aware," Draco replied, raising one eyebrow at me and finishing off the rest of his drink. I avoided eye contact with him as much as possible, gripping tightly on to Ron's arm, which was tensing under my fingers.

Draco eyed me one more time before calling out to someone across the room. "Blaise! Weasley and y/l/n are here!" he shouted, motioning his friend to come over. "Let's start!"