nineteen.

"Dymond, you can't keep skipping practice

"Dymond, you can't keep skipping practice. I know you sad, babygirl but you love softball and they not scared to bench you, don't matter how good you are," Xavion sighed, leaning back on his sister's couch. Today marked a week—well six days since everything went down at his parents house.

That night, before his father came back and tried to stop her, Desireé helped Selena pack her things and Dymond packed her own. They were in Desireé's house within the next hour. Their mom rarely came from her room, and didn't respond well to their texts trying to check on her. The only person she wanted to see was her granddaughter.

"How am I supposed to practice, Xavion? I can't do anything right now. I feel like my life is falling apart!" she signed. She hated speaking when she was angry because she felt like she fumbled too much.

"So do I, Dy. But you gotta try and hold on to the lil bit of normalcy you got, it helps keep you stable, trust me. Even if you tell coach you going through something and you can't give your 110%, you went. You still got that constant. It sounds dumb, but it works," he kept his tone the same, so as not to rile her up even more.

"Okay," she grumbled. "What are you doing for Mari's birthday tomorrow?" she changed the subject and he smiled a little bit. "You disgust me," she giggled.

"Dymond shut up," he laughed. With everything going on with him and his family, Mari hadn't stopped being there. She did as she said and dropped Dy off to school every morning, used her lunch to take her home, if Des wasn't finished at work already. She was at his apartment constantly, praying with him, checking up on him or simply taking naps with him. She came to the gym while he practiced, she did so much.

He was kind of feeling bad about it, since it was her birthday week. When he brought it up, she kind of rushed an answer. She wasn't making him feel bad on purpose but he still felt horrible about it, so he made sure her gift was amazing and that the plans were fool proof. He saved up for weeks to get her a gift and he was happy with his choices.

"She's gonna love it. I really like her, Xavion. She's a sweetheart," Dymond said with a small smile. "I bought her something, mommy did too but I don't think she'll be up to giving it to her, so I will,"

"Aight cool, she gon love that," he smiled slightly.

"And I think mama is giving her a sign name! She been talking about it forever," she continued, and Xavion smiled bigger. That was something big to him personally, because it meant that Selena noticed that Mari was trying to learn and communicate—and that she was important to her.

"You know what it is?" he asked and she shook her head. "I wanna ask but—well never mind. I gotta go pick Mari up now actually, I took her to work this morning. Lemme gon and say bye to mama," he sighed, standing up to go to her room.

He opened her door and flicked the lights, seeing that she wasn't facing the door, but the vanity in the corner and she abruptly turned around to see Xavion.