[ 02 ]

"MY DAD DIDN'T WRITE TODAY?"
Lucy half asked, not tearing her eyes away from the Great Hall's ceiling, where owls kept flying by in every direction, delivering both letters and packages to the many students in the room.

"He signed in yesterday's letter," Thomas remarked, pouring himself another glass of cranberry juice.

"But that was actually Mum's letter," Lucy said, straightening her gaze ahead, where her brother, and James sat. That Friday was sit with Fred day for her.

"Which he signed."

"Yeah, so it was an extra letter on his part, he always writes on Fridays."

"If he already wrote yesterday, it's stupid to send another today."

"Your logic is blowing my mind."

"Your stupidity is beyond—"

"Shut the hell up, Moony, hm?" James interjected, sending him a bitter smile, before going back to his parchment paper.

"Get yourself together, Tommy," Fred rolled his eyes in agreement.

"Why– why do you only go for me?" Thomas asked incredulously, eyebrows furrowing. Lucy merely grinned in satisfaction, taking an apple from one of the big golden plates for further cocky effect. Or, at least, that was the way she saw it, because, really, what kind of cocky effect could grabbing an apple give?

"Your soul is still pure, I'm doing my best to corrupt it," Fred said, talking while he looked at his scrambled eggs like they were a gift from the ancestors.

"It's not pure—" Thomas began, but the other three's very judgemental stares cut him off. "Well, if you compare it with all you, then yes, I'm the only one going to the good place when we rot," He corrected.

"You'll spend eternity in boredom as punishment," Lucy condemned, cringing when Fred flicked his fork in approval, and a bit of food flew from it. "You're a pig," She shook her head, briefly looking at the ceiling for one last time. Well, maybe Thomas was sadly correct. It wouldn't be the first time. She would listen to him more, if she didn't find it mildly infuriating everytime he was right. "What are you doing? James?" It was a bit of an odd sight, him concentrating on something he was writing.

"Just writin' to my folks," He answered, with a small shrug.

"Are you telling them you got picked Captain?" Fred guessed.

"Oh, no, not that," James waved it off, as if the proposal was something beyond silly. "I'm telling them I've nearly gone two weeks without detention. Mum'll love that. She said she'd have my arse if she hears I hijacked a toilet. Reckon this'll make her happy until I do."

It took a second for the implication to sink in. "Why'd you want a toilet? They're kind of shit," Thomas said.

"I'm Captain of the team. I get to use the bathroom of the fifth-"

"Oh, yeah! The one on the fifth floor. It's bloody brilliant," Thomas beamed at the memory of it. Being able to enter the Prefects' bathroom was a life-changing experience one couldn't come back from. Any day, he could run up the stairs from the ground floor all the way to the fifth, just so he could use the bathroom privileges. The extra responsibilities were all worth it, just to be able to enter that room.