Chapter 16

She'd spent the rest of the evening at the library, pulling books, newspaper clippings, and journals on Chimaeras and any relation to goblins. Though there was not much to be found, there was enough to put together a solid case for bringing a Chimaera into Gringotts. There would not have to be any torture or training, as Chimaeras are naturally fierce and antagonistic. Except to goblins. Wizards could securely access their vaults at Gringotts as long as a goblin was with them at all times.

She quarreled with whether or not to pen a thank you note to Draco. He clearly had two intentions with sending that book. One - to help her; two - to anger Ron. After four drafts, she decided against it, and would thank him in person. If the opportunity arose.

When she saw Ron the next morning before the game, he was his normal self again. There was no indication that he had been troubled by Draco Malfoy the day before. Ginny kept trying to communicate with Hermione with her eyes, but Hermione just shook her head and told her they'd talk later. She knew she'd seen Draco's initials on that note, so there would be no getting around explaining to Ginny why Draco Malfoy had sent her a gift with a note calling her his Saturday girl.

Ridiculous.

She went with Harry, Ron, and Ginny to Hodgley Field at 7AM, and while they warmed up and got dressed, she picked out a place in the stands for Katie and her to sit. She brought a book, of course, and cast a warming charm on herself. Katie arrived around 7:30AM as the rest of the crowd began filing in. Hermione was surprised to see so many people out this early on a Sunday, but she supposed she didn't fully understand the fascination with Quidditch anyway.

"Hello, there!" Katie ambled up the bleachers, and Hermione stood to guide her up. Katie batted her away. "I'm not so pregnant I can't see my feet!" She laughed. "Not yet anyway!"

"How's everything going? With the baby?"

"Excellent." Katie sat and began unpacking a bag, handing Hermione a bag of popcorn for them both. "My sister just had her first last year, so I've got the inside scoop for all the tricks and potions."

"Oh, that's wonderful."

Katie smiled and waved at someone Hermione didn't recognize. Hermione caught a glimpse of Aiden and a few other Magical Creatures coworkers settling in a few sections over. She still could not believe how many people were here. She saw a flash go off, and to her right she found Bozo and Skeeter.

"What is the press doing here? Isn't it just a scrimmage?" Hermione said.

"They'll have photographers here every now and then. It's rather nice to see all of the Hogwarts alums back on the same field again, especially after Draco joined the team." Katie munched her popcorn. "And I guess with Ron playing Keeper for the other team, it's probably a nice newspaper opportunity."

"Hm." Hermione scowled at Skeeter.

"So, they tell me not to have too much chocolate while pregnant," Katie said, turning to her bag, "but if you drink some too, I feel like I could get away with it." Katie pulled out two thermoses and offered one to Hermione. "Hot cocoa?"

Hermione smiled and took it. "Thanks."

Katie smiled and tucked her chin into her scarf as a wind gusted past them.

"Katie," Hermione started. "Can I ask you who the father is?"

Katie laughed and turned to her. "Merlin, how long have you been holding that in?"

"About six weeks." Hermione smiled. "I don't mean to pry. I'm just curious."

"Of course. Not at all." Katie pushed her hair away from her face. "I actually had a donor."