Chapter 32

Hermione's heart stopped when Ginny told her that the Contraceptive Charm needed to be cast before.

Then she started crying when Ginny said she had a potion that one could take for the day after.

Ginny jumped up and retrieved the potion. As Hermione hiccupped and swallowed, Ginny watched her.

"So... that was my last one," Ginny said. "So, we'll need to brew or buy some more..." Ginny's voice lilted up at the end.

"Of course. I'll pay for a new batch for you." Hermione wiped her eyes.

"Right." Ginny said, watching her. "Should we be buying double?"

Hermione looked at her.

"Or was this the only time you'll be needing a potion for a little while?"

Ginny was digging, and Hermione was too exhausted to figure it out.

"I mean," Ginny said. "For next time..."

Hermione blinked. "I think I'll remember the Charm next time."

Ginny pounced on her, grabbing her shoulders and shaking. "SO THERE WILL BE A NEXT TIME?!"

As her body was shaken around and her torso mounted and hugged like a doll, Hermione finally realized what Ginny was asking.

Ginny pulled back. "What are you wearing? Where's your dress?"

"He ripped it off of me."

Ginny fell off the bed.

~*~

Would there be a next time?

Hermione covered her love bites, both fresh and old, and looked at her reflection.

They hadn't discussed it. How would this work? Or was it not going to? Was last night all there would be?

And before the Love Contract could even cross her mind, a peck at the window revealed the owl with today's Prophet.

Wonderful.

She grabbed it from the owl's leg, and brought it into the dining room. She opened the fold.

And there she was on the front page, descending a grand staircase and sliding her hand into Draco's.

She sat and tossed the paper across the room, placing her head in her hands.

Thirty seconds later she picked it up again, smoothed it out, and read Rita's loving tribute to the Valentine's Day Ball. Thankfully, Rita had described the two of them as members of Malfoy Consulting Group, and not War Hero Hermione Granger or Ex-Death Eater Draco Malfoy. At least there might be some good publicity for M.C.G.

She sat and sipped her coffee and wondered what to do with her morning. Ginny was gone already, and Hermione didn't have to get ready for Cornerstone until closer to noon, per Morty's insistence.

She'd taken a shower the night before at Ginny's urging. Ginny had started telling her all sorts of... interesting things, like they were now bound by a common knowledge of the mystery of life. Things that Hermione had heard over the years, and had filed away as "adult things," but she was now an adult, she guessed.

"Do you feel different?" Ginny had asked, just as Hermione was shutting the door to the bathroom.

"I feel... sore."

Ginny nodded enthusiastically, going on to explain how she and Harry had to wait a few days before they could try again, and when Hermione's eye twitched involuntarily, Ginny laughed and let her shut the door in her face.