Chapter 31

She told Morty about the Ball that night, and asked if possibly he could cover the last hour of the evening so she could get home and get ready.

"Absolutely not." He frowned at her. "You will leave at noon today, young lady."

She blinked at him. "I'm sorry?"

"The Valentine's Ball is a huge event! I don't want you doddering around a bookshop when you should be getting ready!"

She gaped at him. "I... Well, I don't need that much time. I'd hate to inconvenience you—"

"And don't worry about tomorrow." He waved the air, beginning up the stairs to his flat. "You'll need to recuperate!"

"What? No, Morty. I'll be in tomorrow!"

"Don't even think of it!" he yelled back at her.

She pouted. "Fine! But I'll be in by noon!"

The door slammed to his apartment.

She frowned.

When he forced her out of the store at twelve that day, Hermione went home and showered, preparing for Daphne and Tracey to come over.

She'd owled them as she left work the day before, asking if she could pay them to fix her up for the Ball.

It was odd, having the two of them over without Pansy. Pansy was always the one chatting and gossiping about old friends, so when Tracey played music from her wand, Hermione resolved to remain quiet for the afternoon.

"Do we want it up or down tonight?" Tracey asked, breaking the silence.

"Er..." Hermione stammered. The dress was similar to the New Year's Gala white dress. Ginny had made her wear her hair down that night, even though the witch styling her suggested up.

"What's your dress like?" Daphne asked, as she mixed some goo together to match her skin tone.

"It's gold. And floor length."

"Will you go put it on?" Tracey asked with wide eyes. Daphne looked like she more wanted to make sure she was matching her makeup tones, but Tracey looked quite giddy.

"Er... yes..."

Hermione went to her room and slid into the gold dress. She hadn't tried it on yet. The silk was cold against her skin, and it was cut very much like the white dress. She was planning on transfiguring the color of her New Year's shoes to gold so she could wear them with this dress too.

She came out of her room. Tracey gasped. Daphne appeared over her shoulder and sent her a very Slytherin smirk.

Hermione stepped into the living area where the light was better. "I'll need to wear a different bra, I know," she said as she turned. The dress was backless just like the white one, but the front was slightly different.

Just as Tracey was about to talk about her hair again, the fireplace roared to life and Ginny's head popped through. Her eyes went wide.

"What the fuck are you wearing!? What is that?!" Her mouth dropped open.

"I – Ginny!" Hermione jumped. "What are you doing?"

"What are you doing? I go out of town for three days and now you're the Queen of England?"

"I'm going to a Valentine's Ball tonight."

Ginny gasped. "With Malfoy?"

Hermione's eyes popped out of her head. Ginny couldn't see Daphne and Tracey from her view of the living room. Hermione had also not gotten a chance to talk with Ginny about much of anything this week.